Thursday, October 9, 2014

Book Review: Some Times it happens *SPOILERS*





Pages: 320 pages
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publishing Date: July 12th 2011
My Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars
Source: On my bookshelf for a while


This is a book written by Lauren Barnholdt, whom I have heard nothing but good things about. When I saw this book and read the summary, I knew almost instantly that I wanted to read it. I got this book at thriftbooks.com. I have a review of that website here.

After reading it, which took me about a week, due to being so busy with school,  I have to give it 4 stars. I think it's pretty typical YA with the teenage love triangles, but at the same time I had issues with it.

This novel opens on the first day of Hannah's senior year, but the story really starts on the last day of her junior year. That's when Hannah not only gets dumped by her boyfriend, Ryan, but she also finds out her best friend, Ava, is going to be gone for the entire summer. But Ava's boyfriend, Noah, is definitely around--and such a good guy that he snags Hannah a job at the diner where he works. Hannah and Noah move from coworkers, to friends...and one night, to something more.

Now it's back to school, where Hannah will see Ryan, Ava, and Noah all in one place. Over the course of the day secrets and betrayals are revealed, and alliances are broken and reformed. In the end, Hannah will learn a lot about love, friendship... and herself

My main issue with the main subject. Which is cheating. There is so much cheating in this book its unreal. I find this to be a touchy subject, when done right, it can be awesome. This book sort of sends a message that its okay, or even normal to cheat.

Another issue is that it seems the author is trying to connect with a younger audience, and it sort of reads like a cool mom. Believe me, I was a teen only a few years ago, we never talked like the girls talk in this book.

I also felt like there was no need for some of the edgy activities, that goes on in this book. It doesn't seem to add anything to the book.

I will say I loved the way it was written,  the author switched back from the First day of Senior year, to the Summer scenes (there were a few summer titles). It honestly was a refreshing change to the every day. I also felt like the author didn't dumb down the writing, just because it was YA.

Overall, this is a fun read, great for the summer. There is even a road trip in it.

Goodreads Book Review: 

This novel opens on the first day of Hannah's senior year, but the story really starts on the last day of her junior year. That's when Hannah not only gets dumped by her boyfriend, Ryan, but she also finds out her best friend, Ava, is going to be gone for the entire summer. But Ava's boyfriend, Noah, is definitely around--and such a good guy that he snags Hannah a job at the diner where he works. Hannah and Noah move from coworkers, to friends....and one night, to something more.

Now it's back to school, where Hannah will see Ryan, Ava, and Noah all in one place. Over the course of the day secrets and betrayals are revealed, and alliances are broken and reformed. In the end, Hannah will learn a lot about love, friendship...and herself.


Find me on Goodreads here. Let me know if you have read this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment