Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Book Review : The Dunning Man by Kevin Fortuna

Author: Kevin Fortuna
Release Date: October 19th 2014 
Publisher: Lavender Ink
Page Number:  140
Source:  Lavender Ink 

This is a book that is a collection of six stories that make up The Dunning Man. It has characters from all walks of life—a rogue hip-hop star, a blackjack dealing mom, a middle-aged drunk plowing through his inheritance, and an empty-nester housewife trying to make peace with the past. The book is basically set in Atlantic City, New Orleans, Washington, D.C., the Hudson Valley and Manhattan. 

Before I go any further, I marked this book four stars because I think it deserves that much, but I very much disliked this book. I know for a fact that I am not this books intended audience. It was mainly a book filled with drug use, cat calling women, and drinking. The writing in this short story collection was breath taking. The characters to be well-rounded, the dialogue to be excellent and the scene to be very well laid out. I honestly could see the book like a stage in my head. I really enjoyed that. 

My favorite story in this book was titled “Flogging Maggie”, the main reason being I felt like this was the only story that I could connect with the main characters. I enjoyed the story being about a group of females and having a female narrator. I really wish this story was the entire book and was longer. I felt like I wanted to know more, and honestly it ended way to fast. 

My absolutely least favorite story was the first one. This one actually almost made me put the book down for good. I just couldn’t get it, and really was put off by all the drinking. I did have my husband read a few of the stories and he really seemed to enjoy them. 

Even with that I am still really glad that I got a chance to read this book. It was worth the effort to find the gems with in the story. (my review may not make it sound good). My favorite part of this book is the amazing cover. It is very visually pleasing. I also love the way it blends and speaks to what the book is about. I find often short story covers can be lacking relevance. 

Over give this book a chance, it’s a good read!

Goodreads Book Description: 

The six stories in The Dunning Man feature anti-heroes who reject society’s rules. Characters from all walks of life—a rogue hip-hop star, a blackjack dealing mom, a middle-aged drunk plowing through his inheritance, and an empty-nester housewife trying to make peace with the past. They each exist in the here and now, living for what’s possible and what’s left—not what they’ve left behind. Redemption awaits all, but only along the rutted, gut-churning path of honest self-examination. Age quod agis.

Set in Atlantic City, New Orleans, Washington, D.C., the Hudson Valley and Manhattan, Fortuna’s stories depict the violent clash between society’s expectations and the chaotic arc of individual destiny. These are powerful tales of truth seekers imbued with larger-than-life personalities and the all-consuming need to find something worth seeking.

Links: Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Indie Bound


Disclaimer : I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review on here. 



No comments:

Post a Comment