Monday, June 6, 2016

Book Review: Cat Getting Out of a Bag.





Title: Cat Getting Out of a Bag
Author: Jeffrey Brown
Pages: 108 pages
Publisher: Chronicle Books
Publication Date: March 8th 2007
My Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars
Source: Library 

Cat Getting Out of a Bag and other observations has to be one of the sweetest graphic novels I have ever read. That is if I can classify it as a graphic novel. It is more like a comic than a novel. I enjoyed reading it regardless.

The story features Misty the cat, just being a cat. It is the heartfelt tale of a young boy and how he found his love of cats. This guy and me could be best friends. I love cats, and the way he found his first cat, is similar to mine. Although my cats have all been really nice. I should point out that I recently lost my cat, a few weeks ago. So this was very therapeutic to read. This may influence my love of this book.


While the art isn't not spectacular, and falls into the category of crude style, it never takes away from the material. I actually think it makes the book better.

If you are a cat lover, then you will relate to almost all of the stories presented in this book. If you don't like cats then you might want to skip this book.


Goodreads Book Description: 

Celebrated comic artist and graphic novelist Jeffrey Brown's collection of all-new drawings sweetly illustrates the joys of living with a cat. Featured in McSweeney's and on NPR's This American Life, and praised by comic luminaries Chris Ware and Daniel Clowes, Brown's work has always paid tribute to felines as they curl up on couches and purr on the peripheries of his autobiographical stories. Cat Getting Out of a Bag follows his cat Misty -really, any cat- as she goes about her everyday activities and adventures. In a series of drawings, Brown perfectly captures the universal charm of cats in a lovely book sure to please fans and cat lovers of any stripe.


Links: Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository / Indiebound

No comments:

Post a Comment