Monday, May 23, 2016

Book Review: The Last Unicorn



Title: The Last Unicorn 
Author: Peter S Beagle
Pages: 294 Pages
Publisher:  IDW
My Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars
Publication Date: January 25th 2011
Source: Library 

A graphic novel is such a fun way to re-read a classic. This was one of my favorite reads growing up. Like most girls I was obsessed with unicorns, horses, and anything purple as a middle schooler. I actually remember in sixth grade, I read only books with horses on them. That was a bad year for me. This took me back to the love of all things unicorn and horses. 

While the illustrations are beautiful works of art, I was really concerned with the story. I went in thinking, this book is going to suck. Adaptations are never like the original story, boy was I wrong. For the most part this book keeps close to the original book. 


The imagery in the graphic novel, in my opinion seems very similar to the movie. I am just a little sad that some of my favorite scenes were cut short in order to make the graphic novel move along. That is to be expected when it comes to these. 


Over all I believe fans of the book and movie will enjoy reading this wonderful graphic novel. It has everything you could ever want in a story. I recommend this to anyone. 


Goodreads Book Description: 

Adapted for the first time from the novel by Peter S. Beagle, The Last Unicorn is a tale for any age about the wonders of magic, the power of love, and the tragedy of loss. The unicorn, alone in her enchanted wood, discovers that she may be the last of her kind. 

Reluctant at first, she sets out on a journey to find her fellow unicorns, even if it means facing the terrifying anger of the Red Bull and malignant evil of the king who wields his power. Adapted by Peter B. Gillis and illustrated by Renae De Liz and Ray Dillon.

No comments:

Post a Comment