Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Book Review: A Series of Pained Facial Expressions Made While Shredding Air Guitar



Title: A Series of Pained Facial Expressions Made While Shredding Air Guitar
Author: Brian Alan Ellis 
Pages: 148 Pages
Publisher: House of Vlad Productions
Publication Date: March 2016
My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Stars
Source: From the Author

Odd, mildly interesting, and over done. This book is not my cup of tea. Some of what was written was slightly amusing at points. The status update style of literature quickly grew old. Unfortunately I was moaning at the end and almost didn't finish it. 

This is the type of humor that either love or hate. There is no in between in my opinion. The humor is very stale and dry at parts. The humor was lacking a lot. The self loathing of this book, I am pretty sure is sarcasm but got old quickly. Let me give you a few examples of parts of this book I hated. 

    Surprise someone by pulling a gun on them, while kicking a tray of cocaine into their face- Miami vice style 

  Perhaps I seem easy going to some but I'm really just a person trying to escape a burning building.

Let me share with you some of the parts I found slightly funny. 

     Feels like every day is take your self-hate to work day

     Shout out to all the only children out there who grew up to be both self obsessed and self-conscious. We rule.. right?

While I can get behind Ellis and his I don't give a fuck attitude, it wasn't exactly what I was expecting in this book.The writing is really good. Honestly the book is pretty well written. I received this book for free for my honest and unbiased opinion. All opinions are my own, and not at all influenced by any factors. You should always give a book a chance, you may enjoy this one. 

Goodreads Description: 

Have you ever listened to heavy metal albums on a tape deck while playing Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out!! Over at your best friend’s trailer? Are you a Shia LaBeouf completist? Have you ever wondered what would happen if you suddenly peed on your cat? Have you ever tried drunkenly convincing loved ones that Goodfellas is mandatory Christmas viewing? Do you long for the days when Hulkamania was the strongest force in the universe? 

Do you scream into pillows? Do you get sad pleasure from watching Chuck Norris kick the shit out of dudes on coke? Do you eat cream cheese sandwiches for dinner and then cry yourself to sleep every night? Have you somehow Jacque Cousteau’d a new depth to the ocean that is your self-hate? Is this the year you finally give up and start a food truck and then immediately crash it into something? If so, then congratulations: You’ve just graduated into your total dark side persona, and Brian Alan Ellis is here to text you “Zzzzzzz…” and other sweet nothings using a Virgin Mobile flip phone purchased at a Dollar General before Obama was president, so get hella stoked

No comments:

Post a Comment