Thursday, June 16, 2016

Book Review: Some Possible Solutions




An incredibly moving collection of short stories. 

I was relatively unfamiliar with the author prior to reading this book. I really enjoyed this book by Helen Phillips. There is something about the writing that is just powerfully moving. With that said this book has some strange stories inside of it. I believe you may want to read some of her other work prior but for me this worked as a good starting place. 

Some Possible Solutions is a collection of eighteen short stories. All that are quirky and fun. Most of these stories are set in the future. Of course this is a future Helen has dreamed up, but honestly I wouldn't mind living in. I enjoyed how while some of them were most are dystopian they aren't terribly unrealistic. The issues that these books bring up are all too familiar. In some ways it is very jarring. 

The Deeper that sorrow carves into your being the more your joy can contain. 

The first story about the Knowers was a stand out favorite. This story was about a women who came to know the supposed date of her death. Which is something we all wish we could know, but in the end would it be a blessing or would it be more of a curse? 5 out of 5 stars

The second story wasn't my favorite but it wasn't bad. It was called The Doppelgängers was a fun read about a women who has discovered that her town is filled to the brim with women who look exactly like her. For some reason her husband just doesn't understand. 4 out of 5 stars

Next comes the third story The Messy Joy of the Final Throes of the Dinner Party  is about a women who has discovered that time has frozen for everyone but her. This was another favorite of mine. 5 out of 5 stars

Life Care Center is an interesting fourth story in this book. This one is about a women who has gone to see her dear sister in a nursing home. This becomes a strange situation for her. This was one of my least favorite stories, but I also believe it was one of the more gripping stories. 5 out of 5 stars

 The Joined is an interesting story about a world in which you have the option to be matched to an alien on another planet and reach true transcendence. 5 out of 5 stars

This one was probably the most hilarious story. The Children tells the story of a women, who get this, is completely certain her children are aliens. 5 out of 5 stars 

Eventually we come to the story The Worst Which is a interesting perspective. It looks at what happens in life. 5 out of 5 Stars.  Another story  I struggled with was How I Began to Bleed Again After Six Alarming Months Without. This was a very confusing tale for me. I really struggled understanding the meaning behind this one. It still keeps me up at night. 

There are many other good stories in this book such as, Flesh and Blood, When the Tsunami Came, Game , and also One of us will be happy, its just a matter of which one

As always just a disclaimer that I received this book for free from Henry Holt in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. 

Links: Amazon 

No comments:

Post a Comment