Friday, June 24, 2016

Book Review: Thirteen Reasons Why



“When you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re messing with their entire life. Everything. . . affects everything.”

 Thirteen Reasons Why, well it broke my heart. I couldn't put it down. I have never been so affected and captivated by a book before. This book will tear you apart. I read it in the course of an afternoon because I just couldn't put it down. I had to find out more. The story was tugging at my soul. I just can't get over the depth of the characters. 

This book isn't for everyone because it deals with a pretty heavy topic, despite it being a YA novel. It deals with the topic of suicide. It does this in a very interesting way, because it deals with the aftermath. Did your death change anything? Is everyone just going on with their lives? 

The book follows Clay, a nice kid who everyone likes. Although the book is about of a girl named Hannah. A girl who decided her life was so horrible that she needed to end it. After her death, Clay receives a package of cassette tapes in the mail. On these tapes Hannah explains the reasons behind her suicide. 

The only issue I have with this book is that Hannah comes off as sensitive, bratty, selfish, and extremely over-sensitive. There isn't much in her life that you would think cause her to commit suicide. She had a nice life, and some decent friends. Most of her reasons are things every single person has already experienced or will experience. Most people take them as bad days, but they don't normally kill themselves. Something minor I want to point out is that suicide is always selfish. It is a temporary fix for problems that in my experience always go away. 

Unfortunately I could understand Hannah. As someone who actually got super depressed and thought of suicide many times. I could relate to her. People at her school thought she was a slut for something she didn't even do.  They thought the same of me. 

I do believe the combined with everything she was going through, she was suicidal. If you dissect everything she went through individually it doesn't seem that bad. Those things add up. They really do.

This was a fantastic book and I really loved the fact that they used cassette tapes in this book. I really wished they would make the book again and include her stories on them.

I got this book in a free bin outside of a used bookstore, but you can purchase it at many places:


Goodreads Description: 

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.
On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.
Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment