Friday, June 10, 2016

Book Review: We Were liars




Author: E. Lockhart 
Pages: 242 Pages
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Publication Date: May 13th, 2014
My Rating: 3 out of 5 Stars
Source: Library 

On my goodness this book. This book is awful. I know that I am going to get hate for this review but I have always promised, to be honest. I don't get the hype of this book. While this isn't the worst book I have ever read it is still pretty bad. 



The writing is beautiful and pointless at the same time. Literally, this book goes nowhere there is no point for some of the sentences other than the fact they "sound good". If that's the kind of thing you dislike this book is not for you. If that's the kind of thing that bothers you. Then you should probably avoid this book.

This book has next to no plot. It is full of random sentence structure, details upon details and no purpose. The entire book is centered around a rich girl, that has a rich family, living in a rich world, on a family island. LIKE WE GET IT THE GIRL IS RICH. It is like she's trying to convince herself she is rich. I really feel like this is a book full of rich people problems. 




The "Liars" are more "Talkers," and they have almost no relevant role in the book What the heck are the "liars" anyways? Those aforementioned liars do nothing throughout the entire book, the book literally talks about every summer, they do nothing during these summers. They aren't having any fun. They aren't witty, they aren't sweet, they don't act cute. They don't even act like a family. 


They are supposed to be these naughty troublemakers but they aren't. The worst they do is go down to the beach when told not too. Like wow lock them up already, they are a danger to society. They are overdramatic rich kids. In the end, they do something that is pretty bad but, it took way too long to happen. 


The main character is the worst. She does nothing but give so many run-on sentences, and use a million different metaphors about things that would be easier, faster, to just explain them. Here is an example of what she looks like from the book: 

My full name is Cadence Sinclair Eastman.
I am nearly eighteen.
I used to be blond, but now my hair is black.
I used to be strong, but now I am weak.
I used to be pretty, but now I look sick.
It is true I suffer migraines since my accident.
 It is true I do not suffer fools.
The family reminds me of the Kennedys or the Kardashians. They are a good looking, "old-money family". Apparently, they have no political ties but yet they have patriotic names like Liberty, Taft, and Tipper. They have trust funds, they have crazy amounts of money, each aunt has her on summer home, they read books, they go to private schools, and then Ivy League Schools. 

Candice, the main character is prone to theatrics and is in love with this kid named Gat (why do all the characters have such horrible names? ) . She is self-loathing, she is privileged, and she doesn't even understand it. 


I am making a point of pointing out the fact that she's rich because the book does. She is incredibly hypocritical about her wealth. She criticizes everyone about their love of money and privilege but then doesn't remember that even she acts the same way. An example of this would be:

One night, the four of us ate a picnic down on the tiny beach. Steamed clams, potatoes, and sweet corn. The staff made it. I didn’t know their names.

The love interest. This guy Gat is the only character I could take from the book. He is the nephew of her aunt's boyfriend, and for whatever reason, he is always around. Seriously who takes a random nephew away every summer? It seems odd, I don't understand why he comes every summer. 

He is self-aware, overly obnoxious and pretentious actually. He feels unauthentic. He doesn't feel like a teenager. The family doesn't like him because he is a person of color, and his family is poor. Just seems like a weird away forced into the storyline. An example of how raced the grandfather is 
“I’m not saying he wants to be the guy who only likes white people,” Gat went on. “He knows he’s not supposed to be that guy. He’s a Democrat, he voted for Obama—but that doesn’t mean he’s comfortable having people of color in his beautiful family.”

The ending is pretty horrible.  It was just a confusing trip.



Goodreads Book Description: 

A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.A revolution. An accident. A secret.Lies upon lies.True love.The truth.
We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart.
Read it.And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE. 


No comments:

Post a Comment