Monday, July 25, 2016

Author Interview: Lloyd Johnson


Today I have Lloyd Johnson with me for an author interview. Lloyd is a Minnesota native, currently living in New England. He is the author of The Dog Catcher, Tricks for a Trade and the soon to be released, The Best Possible Angle.

He has dabbled in the creative arts since elementary school, but rediscovered his passion for writing in 2004, and has been working on his craft ever since. Lloyd has chosen a non sequitur approach to storytelling, opting to tell the kinds of stories he wants to tell without being pinned to any one genre.

Lloyd has traveled extensively around the world, visiting 16 countries to date. When he isn't taking in the sights, he loves to unwind with a good book or become inspired by the change in scenery to work on his writing.


Follow  Lloyd Johnson on social media
Links // Facebook // Twitter // Website // Blog





When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer? 

I’ve been writing since I was a kid. It’s something that I’ve always come back to in between my attempts at “finding myself” in other creative mediums. But I made the decision to commit to the craft in 2005.

How long does it take you to write a book?

The very first book I wrote is an erotica tale called Tricks for a Trade. It took 2 editors and 9 years to complete, but I didn’t publish it immediately. I took a break from that book at the 7-year mark and published The Dog catcher, which took 2 years to complete. And the project I’m working on now, a thriller called The Best Possible Angle, took about a year and a half to squeeze out a first draft. My editor has it and I already know it will take some time to polish.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

I don’t have a set schedule. They say that serious writers write every day. Well, I consider myself a serious writer, but I also think that I do better when I’m not trying to follow some arbitrary rule. When I allow the creative process to do what it does without trying to shape it into what people assume it to be, I find I’m at my most productive.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

I love to write while listening to music. Especially listening to jazz. I’ve turned out some pretty great pages while listening to John Coltrane or Billie Holliday

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

Ideas just randomly pop into my head most of the time. Though, I was inspired to write The Dog Catcher after watching the movie “Precious,” then subsequently reading the novel called Push by Sapphire, which inspired the movie. I decided I wanted to write a book about a female antagonist and her journey through her own unique adversities.

When did you write your first book and how old were you?

I began writing Tricks for a Trade the summer after I turned 30. At the time I felt as though I’d squandered my twenties, so it was important to leave a legacy. Writing has helped me to do that.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?

I love to travel. To date I have been to 15 countries and I will be visiting Thailand next month which makes 16. 

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

That it is perfectly fine to leave a bit of myself in the stories. That makes it real in some respects, and when the stories are real to me then they will read that way to my audience.

Who are some of your favorite authors that you feel were influential in your work? What impact have they had on your writing?

At the moment I think Walter Mosley is probably on top of my list. I had an opportunity to meet him in Atlanta last year and he was pleasant enough. Signed a couple of books for me. Told me an interesting story about a man he knew who shares my first name. The second writer I enjoy is J. Randy Taraborrelli, who wrote many books about celebrities. He just wrote a book about Beyonce. I’ve met him as well and he has been very gracious to me.  Third and fourth are the late E. Lynn Harris and Randy Shiltz. I think collectively, all four have influenced my decision to become a full-time writer and have at various times influenced my style.

What do you think makes a good story?

The way a story is executed. If the execution is good, you can pretty much write about anything.   

Thank you so much for interviewing with me today! It was great getting to know you! Be sure to check out The Dog Catcher below. 





The Dog Catcher: 


 A young woman comes into her own... After being rejected by her parents, Cheryl Greene must enter a world she's ill-equipped to handle, not just for her sake but that of her son. 

When she meets the charming yet mysterious Plez Jackson, her future looks bright. That is until his schemes leave Cheryl emotionally and physically broken. Fighting to rediscover her self-worth, Cheryl realizes it won't be easy. In fact, she's in for the fight of her life!

Links: Amazon // Goodreads 

No comments:

Post a Comment