Friday, July 29, 2016

Author Interview: Peter Davidson

Today I have Peter Davidson, with me for an author interview. Peter, is the author of a number of books, the latest being TRUMPED! - BEYOND POLITICALLY CORRECT.  A man of many talents that you will enjoy getting to know today! 



Everyone should have something in life that they are

passionate about.  As for me, I’m passionate about
writing – have been since I was nineteen years old.







When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

As a youth, I always had a paperback in my pocket and read every chance I got. When I was 18 or 19 in college, I got some nice comments on my papers from some of my professors, and more importantly, when I wrote to some of my college friends in the summers, they replied that they enjoyed my writing. A combination of my interest in reading and the nice comments on my writing combined to give me the idea that one day I should try to write a book

How long does it take you to write a book?

It varies depending on the genre and the amount of knowledge I have to write the material. A novel or non-fiction book might take 4-6 months. Years ago, I co-authored a college textbook that was over 650 printed pages in hardcover, along with a workbook of over 200 pages, a test bank of over 1,000 questions, an instructor's manual of over 100 pages, and a computer application. I thought it would never end.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

I write every day, although I do not necessarily write at the same time each day. I like to write at least six hours a day. When I'm not actually writing, I am often thinking about the project at other times during the day, developing ideas.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

You have heard the comment made by a person when they have an important decision to make, “I'm going to sleep on it.” The reason that this is a good problem-solving technique is that, I am told, the subconscious part of the mind is more powerful than the conscious part of the brain and if you have an important decision to make, it is undoubtedly weighing heavily on your mind as you fall asleep. During the night your subconscious mind mulls it over and things are often clearer when you awake. I employ this technique with my writing. As I fall asleep, I try to rehash in my mind an area in the manuscript I'm working on or am having trouble figuring out. Without fail, when I awake in the morning, I have the solution.

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

I am always on the lookout for a unique idea for a book and an idea can be triggered by virtually anything – an offhand comment by myself or a friend, a news article, a joke, or an unexpected happening. Not all of the ideas are worthy of a book, and it takes some doing, sometimes, for me to talk myself out of an idea.

When did you write your first book and how old were you?

I was 21 when I got my bachelor's degree and 24 when I got a master's degree, so I was busy studying most of the time until that age. I started writing songs and short stories, to no published success. I turned to writing books and had my first book published by an independent publisher when I was 27 or 28.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?

I have always had a strong interest in rock and roll and country music and was partner in a professional recording studio some years ago. I have written over 100 songs, as a hobby, and one of them received strong radio air play in the U.S. And was used in a television series in The Netherlands.

My wife and I enjoy going to concerts at our summer home in the Lake Okoboji resort area of Iowa and our winter home in Arizona. Also, I love to cruise in my BMW convertible with my wife.
I also enjoy reading novels, particularly John Grisham legal thrillers and am an avid college football and basketball fan. Of course, I enjoy time with family and friends.


What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

For me, the entire writing experience, from getting the germ of an idea, to developing the concept, to writing the manuscript, and finishing the project is exhilarating and very rewarding. When I first started writing, I found it surprising that not every literary agent or publisher shared my tremendous enthusiasm for the manuscript that I had poured my heart and soul into. I learned that writing something that is marketable, regardless of its quality, is of primary importance to a publisher. Of course, having a good quality manuscript that is marketable is the ultimate goal.

Who are some of your favorite authors that you feel were influential in your work? What impact have they had on your writing?

I cannot point to any particular author that was influential in my writing, but I have always enjoyed reading books that are clear and easy to read without needing to work hard at trying to figure out what the author was trying to say. Anyone can write using long,complicated words – the dictionary is full of them. I believe that true genius is in simplicity – taking what might be a difficult concept and being able to explain it in terms that average people can understand.

What do you think makes a good story?

For fiction, believable and likable characters the reader can root for, a story concept that is of interest to the reader, a story line that makes sense but that has enough twists and turns so it is unpredictable, and a surprise ending that makes sense. All in all, a story that is so enjoyable that the reader wishes the book were longer.

Where is your book, TRUMPED! - BEYOND POLITICALLY CORRECT available?

The book is available on amazon.com in paperback and Kindle eBook.

What are some of your other books that readers might enjoy?


 Okoboji is the story of a handsome, rich, and famous movie star, Alex Gideon from Beverly Hills, who is disgruntled with his fabulous but shallow life and decides he needs a break – but where can he go where no one will recognize him? He decides to let fate decide. He puts a map of the United States on his dart board and flings a dart. It lands on Okoboji, which is a quaint summertime resort community in Iowa. Perfect. No one will know him there.

Alex disguises himself and leaves Beverly Hills without telling anyone. He arrives in Okoboji in the middle of the summer, becomes involved in the local culture, and falls desperately in love with a fabulous woman, Simone Delaney. About that time, news of Alex's disappearance hits the news; the media goes nuts and Alex's fans go crazy, fearing he has been kidnapped, or worse. Can Alex win the love of Simone before the world discovers he is in Okoboji?


Murder In Okoboji is a tale of greed, deceit, mystery, and murder - where things are rarely what they appear to be and where there are many surprises as the story unfolds. Set in the Okoboji resort area of Iowa. The story includes many real people and businesses.

Gatlin Guthrie was on a business trip and stopped at the Okoboji resort area in Iowa for a few days of rest and relaxation. By chance, Guthrie meets three scheming opportunists who sense that Guthrie has some huge business deal and they want in on it. They discover what Guthrie is up to and set in motion a plan that will net them millions of dollars in less than a week, if it works.


Every once in a great while, a book comes along that provides a unique glimpse of what actually happens behind the scenes in some occupation or profession. Memoirs Of A Recovering Teacher is such a book. 


What are your social media links?


No comments:

Post a Comment