Sunday, August 7, 2016

Author Interview: Glen Ebisch







Today I have Glen Ebisch for an Author Interview. Glen has a new mystery out called A Fragile Will. Glen Ebisch taught philosophy at the university level for over thirty years, and for the same period of time has been writing mysteries, first for young people, then for adults.  He has been fortunate enough to have over twenty-five published.  
He lives with his wife in western Massachusetts and now focuses full time on writing, exercise, and travel.









When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer? 

I was quite a bit older than some people who become writers, many of whom knew they wanted to do it from when they were children.  I was in my mid-thirties when I started to seriously think about becoming a writer, although there were probably times before that when I thought it might be fun.

How long does it take you to write a book?

It depends on the book and how steadily I work on it.  I think the average length of time is probably four or five months.  Sometimes I will finish a book and put it aside for a later reading and revision, but usually it is in its finished form in five months.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

I usually work in the morning for two or three hours.  I find that usually I can’t maintain my concentration much longer than that at one time.  When I am really working hard to finish a book, however, I will sometimes return to work on a book in the afternoon if it is near the end and I am anxious to finish it. 

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

Ideas just come to me from the things I read, see on television, or watch happen around me.  When I am working on a book, I will use the internet to get information when necessary.  It used to be that a writer had to go to the library to do research, but now Google puts it all at your fingertips.

When did you write your first book and how old were you?

I was in my late thirties when I wrote the first book I had published.  It was a YA mystery.  I wrote a number of YA mysteries in my late thirties and early forties.  I stopped writing fiction for a while, then returned to it in my fifties and began writing for adults.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?

I like to read.  I read all sort of things, both fiction and nonfiction.  I like to go to the gym and exercise.  I also spend some time traveling, and particularly like going to the beach. 

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

I learned that I enjoyed introducing some romance into my mysteries.  It was there from the very beginning in the YA books I wrote, and I’ve found that I write better mysteries when there is a subplot about relationships. 

Who are some of your favorite authors that you feel were influential in your work? What impact have they had on your writing?

The mystery writers Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett were influences, as was Ernest Hemingway.  There are probably lots of other writers whose works I’ve read that have influenced me in ways in which I’m not even aware.

What do you think makes a good story?

Every good story has to have a good plot and interesting characters.  If nothing much happens, the reader will lose interest.  If the characters are not interesting, the reader doesn’t care what happens to them.  Every story relies a little bit more on one or the other.  I usually begin by thinking about the characters.  If I can find a thoughtful, assertive person to tell the story, then I am ready to go.

Check Out his new novel A Fragile Will

When high school English teacher Cassandra Reilly is laid off, she takes a poorly paying part-time job at a local nursing home to make ends meet. Her employment problems may be solved when one of her patients passes away after naming her in his will as the director of a new literary research center. But Cassie isn't certain she can handle the position, and her doubts increase when she receives a threat against her life.

The lawyer who handles the will proves to be a source of support and comfort, and Cassie hopes their friendship will deepen into love. As the danger increases and Cassie faces her doubts about her own abilities, she begins to develop a new strength of character that will help her achieve her life's goals.

Be sure to check out my review of this awesome book. If you are interested in purchasing this book or finding out more information follow the links below: 

No comments:

Post a Comment