Sunday, October 23, 2016

Book Review: Madame Tussaud's Apprentice



Madame Tussaud's Apprentice

What to say about this book? It was interesting, but did it really have a gripping story? Not really. Will I remember it in a couple years? Probably not. I expected a enchanting story and what I got fell pretty flat for me. I am really sad to say this book was a let down. 

This book was a really bad with the YA tropes. Reasons I don't typically pick up YA on my own anymore. The issue here for me was that the time period for me historically just didn't line up with the way the characters acted. They weren't researched well, or maybe they were supposed to be "unnatural and out of context" and I just missed the point. I knew a little bit about Madam Tussaude, and the revolution surrounding her. I am no means an expert but I believe this story at least hit the mark in a few ways. 

This brings me to my fist issue with this book. The middle grade feel to it. Meet the main character, Celie, who is pretentious at best, annoying at worst. Ever since her parents died, she has decided to join forces with Algeron. They basically just steal to get back at everyone. It is your basic "eye for an eye" situation. 

This brings me to my second issue with this book. The love interest between these to is obnoxious and forced. I wasn't puppy love but it was annoying to say the least. It was everything about teenage love you hate. I just hate when romance is "overly done". Maybe if some of the romance was cut out it wouldn't have bothered me as much. 

My favorite character in this book of course was Madame Tussaud, honestly are you even surprised by this? The sad thing about her is I feel like we didn't get enough time with her. I did like the storyline surrounding her. 

The last issue I had with this book is the gore. It is pretty ummmmmm gore-y in parts and for something that feels very immature (middle-grade -ish) I felt like the author put a little bit to much information in the book. I almost stopped reading. I can handle gore normally but the way the book has it, I don't know but it just turned me off. 

Overal I think people should give this a try. I don't think this is a book for everyone though. 

Thank you so much for sending me this book for review F+W Media. All thoughts are my own.


Goodreads Description: 

In 1789, with the starving French people on the brink of revolution, orphaned Celie Rosseau, an amazing artist and a very clever thief, runs wild with her protector, Algernon, trying to join the idealistic freedom fighters of Paris. But when she is caught stealing from none other than the king's brother and the lady from the waxworks, Celie must use her drawing talent to buy her own freedom or die for her crimes. 

Forced to work for Madame Tussaud inside the opulent walls that surround Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette, Celie is shocked to find that the very people she imagined to be monsters actually treat her with kindness. But the thunder of revolution still rolls outside the gates, and Celie is torn between the cause of the poor and the safety of the rich. When the moment of truth arrives, will she turn on Madame Tussaud or betray the boy she loves? From the hidden garrets of the starving poor to the jeweled halls of Versailles, Madame Tussaud's Apprentice is a sweeping story of danger, intrigue, and young love, set against one of the most dramatic moments in history.

No comments:

Post a Comment