Friday, November 25, 2016

Book Review: The Rector


I have to say this is not a book I would have normally requested. Honestly I really didn't enjoy it all that much. I am unsure what even possessed me to request this book for review. I have a bunch of deadlines and commitments. Oh well though I took a chance on this book. I want to also state that this wasn't that bad a of a book.

The Rector is a novel which takes place in Mississippi during the 1950's which is an era I enjoy reading about. This book has all the wonderful southern customs I am used to. I really enjoyed reading about things I am used to. This is a murder mystery that deals with the christian faith. This was honestly hard for me to understand and wrap my brain around. 

The main character Martha McRae is a widow living in Mississipi, following the death of her church's young rector, she becomes obsessed with the case. In her mind a murderer will go free, if she doesn't investigate his death. Unfortunately she becomes suspicious of a friend from her bible study. If this is true it will be a life changing, devastating discovery that will rock her church to its core. When a new rector comes to take the place, she is face with unspeakable evil. 

This novel is jam packed with great and interesting characters, a decent plot, and interesting discussions on various theological topics. Was it overly interesting? No. Was it life changing? Absolutely not. Was it a chore to get through? Yes. 

The book had a okay plot. But lost me on the theological and faith side. There are a few places in this book where God, is used as a cuss word slightly. One big point for many Christians is not using God's name in vain.


Despite a few parts that had me scratching my head on whether the author did enough research or not, I did enjoy the book somewhat. Although if any readers are Southern Baptist, they may not enjoy some parts of the book that deals with the Episcopal denomination. 


I can't recommend this book. I feel like the author wrote this book, and then thought hey, I will market a MURDER, mystery to Christians. It seemed like an after thought. It was not researched well. There are a big number of Southern Baptists, Fundamentalist, and other devout christian religions in the south. It made this book seem not realistic. 

I received this book for free in exchange for my honest and 100% unbiased review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you Book Crash for supplying this book to me.

Goodreads Description: 


Combine a suspenseful murder mystery with theology (the study and explanation of religious faith, practice, and experience) and you have The Rector--with an allegory of Christ's ministry!

Here's a brief synopsis: Martha McRae is a widow living in a small Mississippi Delta town in the 1950s. She's obsessed with the sudden death of her Episcopal church's young rector. A murderer could go free if she doesn't investigate. But Martha is torn. 

If she pursues the suspect, her Bible study friend's awful secret could be revealed. It would be devastating, and life-changing. When the new rector arrives, she encounters a new puzzle--one that takes her into Parchman Penitentiary, where she comes face to face with evil.



No comments:

Post a Comment