Sunday, November 27, 2016

Book Review: Stalking Jack the Ripper


This was an interesting book. I got the recommendation from my friend and I am actually really glad I did. It was a book that was far out of my comfort zone. I don't normally read horror books or books about serial killers and murders. It felt like it would be a great start in the genre because of the YA tag. I figured it wouldn't be extremely violent.

Jack the Ripper is a notorious serial killer. The brutal murders that were occurring in London in the 1800's have been studied and famous through out almost all of history. I was excited about learning more about this horribly tragic time in history.

The story just lacked a bit and was extremely tiring at times. Also the believability of this novel was nonexistent. This book is extremely modern for its time. As an historical fiction lover I prefer a story to be believable, accurate, and somewhat historically correct. This book is features an extremely "feministic" main character, and frankly had many view points that supposedly are taking place in a Victorian era. Now I am not saying that there wasn't feminist back then, I just don't think every single person was that way. The father of Audrey Rose was really the only believable main character in this situation.

The second issue for me is the perfect convenient solutions to issues. I mean absolutely zero logic and intelligence went into her problems and solutions. Even though she reminds us of how smart she is, regularly.

The third issue is how whinny and bratty the main character is. Honestly she was a spoiled brat. Half the time she is making really ridiculous remarks about people, or having a petty party. 

My last issue with this books is the freaking white washing apparently Audrey's mother was a " Indian with honey colored skin".  I felt like it was a weird racial spin. it even throughs in some mentions of naan, saris, and then bam story closed. In my opinion which might be wrong, it was incredibly disrespectful and biased.

Unfortunately I will most likely not be continuing on in this series. It just isn't interesting enough. Maybe the author will get better as time goes on. Please remember all thoughts are my own and you should always try a book for yourself. Please don't take my negative review and choose to not give this one a chance.


I was not sent this book for review. I borrowed this book to read from a friend.


Goodreads Description:

Seventeen-year-old Audrey Rose Wadsworth was born a lord's daughter, with a life of wealth and privilege stretched out before her. But between the social teas and silk dress fittings, she leads a forbidden secret life.
Against her stern father's wishes and society's expectations, Audrey often slips away to her uncle's laboratory to study the gruesome practice of forensic medicine. When her work on a string of savagely killed corpses drags Audrey into the investigation of a serial murderer, her search for answers brings her close to her own sheltered world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment