Sunday, December 11, 2016

Author Interview: Reece Ran


Today I have an author named Reece Ran, for an interview. The author of a great book called Winter

Bio:

Reece Ran
Age 26.
Lives in Indiana.

I'm the only child and work four days a week, but write six.  I’ve been reading and telling stories my whole life. I have a soft spot for psychological thrillers, but I 
adore science fiction fantasy novels.

My favorite foods are chicken, mac and cheese, and strawberry cheesecake.

My favorite movie is The Lord of the Rings and my favorite TV show is Breaking Bad.

Best cartoon on earth is Dragon Ball Z.


When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

Right after high school. I wanted to be a comic book writer/artist, but writing my stories out was easier and faster. Plus, it's nice to let the imagination of the reader take over the visual aspects of the story.

How long does it take you to write a book?

Typically around three to six months. This one in particular took over a year because I had a lot going on in my personal life. But once I got the ball rolling, the rest became cake.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

Oh, let's see. After I get off of work around five or six, I head to the bookstore to write; the atmosphere is relaxing. On Friday mornings and Saturday afternoons, I write. I write and edit like six days a week; Sunday is my Sabbath.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

Using energy drinks to trick my brain into typing faster. It's weird, but that's just how I roll.

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

I get my ideas by observing my surroundings, things that exist in the real world, combining those things, and morphing it into something fantastical.  For example, I live in the Midwest, so we get a lot of snow. I hate winter because it's so inconvenient. I remember looking outside my window one day after I watched this sci-fi horror movie called The Thing and said to myself, "The winter sucks; it'd suck even more if the snow came to life and started offing people." And that's how I came up with Winter. My twisted mindset, fused with annoyance, made this story. 

When did you write your first book and how old were you?

 I was 21. Four years from now.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?

Roller Skating to some good ol' fashion James Brown remixes in Chicago's rinks, also Youtubing. I watch Hodgetwins, Double Toasted, Honest Trailers, Team Four Star and whatever else keeps me entertained. I care for two Yorkie dogs-- Dart and Cody. I talk about Marvel Movies, too. I love the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe). I can rant and rave about that all day. Most of my friends aren't nerdy like me, so I keep it to myself most of the time. I also do volunteer community work Saturday mornings, then after writing, watch Netflix, workout, and hang with friends when I can.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

It's amazing how your brain--when it has been creating stories for you your whole life--can work on a sub-conscious level for you. I wrote things that wasn't even premeditated, and it came out amazing. It was awesome. It's like working on a muscle over and over again; it gets stronger, faster, more agile. When you work on your imagination, it literally will take over the creating process for you, doing wonders.

Who are some of your favorite authors that you feel were influential in your work? What impact have they had on your writing?

Well, the first book I ever read was Sandra Brown's Into Darkness. I didn't know how to write until I read that book. It had great character moments, kept you guessing, and hit you hard at the end. So far, it's the only novel I read into the dead of night.

What do you think makes a good story?

As with Into Darkness, keeping your readers guessing, having great character moments, and hitting your readers hard in the end. But on top of that is a great, original premise. Something that no one has read before. I love originality, and I try my best to take what's been done and not do it again.

Ex-marine Zimmery Mac returns to his loving family in Pennsylvania, just in time before the season of winter. He reunites with his wife, his two sons, and his little daughter Lane, but things go horribly wrong when Lane turns up missing. Zimmery embarks on a journey to save her. 

The only drawback is that every winter the snow comes to life and devours all who disturb it. Zimmery must find a way to watch his step and watch his back in this exciting but bone chilling novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment