Friday, December 2, 2016

Book Review: Getting Gamers


Title: Getting Gamers
Author: Jamie Madigan
Press: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers
Release Date: October 15th 2015
Source: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers
My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

This wasn't that bad of a book. It was rather interesting and I can honestly say this is the first time I have read anything like this. I really think it was interesting getting to know more about gaming. I think everyone needs to learn about gaming even if you don't game. I think it is just such a big part of our culture these days. 

I felt that this book was essentially just long blog posts that had been edited, and bound into a book. This can be a great thing but honestly, this book just didn't work. It would have read better online in my opinion. 

I felt like also it was the same thing over, and over, and over again. I continually was a circular argument that just referred back to the chapter before. I didn't enjoy all of the flipping and searching I had to do. 

The author writes this book in a mixture of first and third person. It made it very interesting. It was very much like the author was having a conversation with me than rather lecturing me. The author was far from serious and it had some fun theories and examples that even made fun of gamer culture at times. That was fun. 

I thought this book was a rather fast and easy read which surprised me for a non fiction book about a topic I am really unexposed to. I like the psychology aspects that were thrown in there. It really made me think about what I honestly think about gaming. 




Overall I enjoyed this book. Thank you so much Rowman & Littlefield Publishers for sending me this book for free for review in exchange for my honest and 100% unbiased review. 

Links For Purchase : Amazon // Barnes & Noble

Links For the Author: Website // Twitter // Facebook // Goodreads 

Goodreads Descriptions: 


Video games are big business. They can be addicting. They are available almost anywhere you go and are appealing to people of all ages. They can eat up our time, cost us money, even kill our relationships. But it s not all bad! This book will show that rather than being a waste of time, video games can help us develop skills, make friends, succeed at work, form good habits, and be happy. Taking the time to learn what s happening in our heads as we play and shop allows us to approach games and gaming communities on our own terms and get more out of them. 

With sales in the tens of billions of dollars each year, just about everybody is playing some kind of video game whether it's on a console, a computer, a web browser, or a phone. Much of the medium s success is built on careful (though sometimes unwitting) adherence to basic principles of psychology. This is something that s becoming even more important as games become more social, interactive, and sophisticated.

 This book offers something unique to the millions of people who play or design games: how to use an understanding of psychology to be a better part of their gaming communities, to avoid being manipulated when they shop and play, and to get the most enjoyment out of playing games. With examples from the games themselves, Jamie Madigan offers a fuller understanding of the impact of games on our psychology and the influence of psychology on our games."
SaveSave
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment