Sunday, January 15, 2017

Book Review: Girl in Pieces

Trigger warning: Self-harm, drugs, alcohol, sexual abuse



Ouch, wow. This was a dark but amazingly beautiful read. 

Similar to other books, I knew this would be a hard read. I knew it would be dark. I knew it would leave me gasping for breath. I finished it a couple days ago, and still my heart is breaking. I actually believe this book did an excellent job of portraying mental illness and addiction. The book didn't romanticize it like most do. There was a ton of realism in this book. It was painful and dark just like the real realities of these issues. 

I want to put this out there: THIS BOOK IS HARD TO READ.

In this story, we follow the main character, Charlotte Davis. She has lost everything she cares about. Her family, her direction, her future. Everything is gone, and she has hit rock bottom. Her mother won't have anything to do with her because she abused her. This has sent her into a spiral of self-hatred and addiction. Most of her family feels this way. She is now homeless, has lived in a sex house where she was abused, and others were also. 

It is important to mention that Charlotte is just a seventeen-year-old. She's traumatized, and the rough streets aren't doing her any favors. She is vulnerable, and the pain is just building up inside her. Like a bottle that shook up, it eventually explodes. She resorts to self-harm and cutting to release some of the pain. 


“I cut because I can’t deal. It’s as simple as that. The world becomes an ocean, the ocean washes over me, the sound of water is deafening, the water drowns my heart, my panic becomes as large as planets.”

Eventually, we get to watch her journey to healing. She gets into therapy and we watch the long hard road she is on. She has to be reminded to breathe. She has to remember that she survived and can now heal and find comfort. Recovery is a never ending thing, we get to see that in our main character. Girl In Pieces deals with this reality. The book doesn't end with some magic cure that allows them to never be tempted. This book ends with truth. 

The author writes in a way that is almost poetic in nature. Every word, every sentence haunts you to your core. Her words are raw and beautiful. There is a purposefulness in them. The story has meaning and depth. The author carefully paints the struggle and pain endured. She takes the reader through every emotion. In the end, Charlotte is a survivor. This story will stay with you, it will haunt you. I believe this story will change lives.

I have two issues with this book that make me remove one star. The story is quite slow. It is near boring at certain times. I liked the story of charlotte but I didn't need to know every single detail of how she screwed up her life. I also didn't need the constant details about her work.  The second issue is the love interest. I have no issues with age gap relationships if they are healthy. Riley is 27, and ends up with Charlotte. Their relationship was unhealthy almost 90 percent of the time. I honestly was so uncomfortable with it.

This was a brilliant debut novel! I look forward to more works by Glasgow in the upcoming future. 


Disclaimer this was kindly provided by the publisher and blogging for books in exchange for an honest review.


Goodreads Description: 

Charlotte Davis is in pieces. At seventeen she’s already lost more than most people lose in a lifetime. But she’s learned how to forget. The broken glass washes away the sorrow until there is nothing but calm. You don’t have to think about your father and the river. Your best friend, who is gone forever. Or your mother, who has nothing left to give you.

Every new scar hardens Charlie’s heart just a little more, yet it still hurts so much. It hurts enough to not care anymore, which is sometimes what has to happen before you can find your way back from the edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment