Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Book Review: I Let You Go



I really enjoyed this, even though I hated girl on the train. 

I am a sucker for a good psychological thriller. I really enjoyed reading this excellent one. Holy Canoli was it good. The PLOT TWIST WILL GIVE YOU ALL THE FEELS. I seriously was sucker punched. I really enjoyed the many twists and turns this book had.

The book starts out with an unfortunate accident. Nothing will ever be the same. In an instant, the world Jenna lives in becomes a nightmare. Jenna has to start all over. The main character is a girl named Jenna. She moves to remote cottage on the Welsh coast. She is struggling to cope with the rough past she endured. 

Slowly, but surely she begins to see some form of happiness in her future. It is a speck, just a glimmer of hope. Unfortunately, her past is about to catch up with her. This will not be a good thing. It is hard to add more detail without giving away the book. Since this is a spoiler free review, I am moving on. 

The characters are complex and well-developed. I enjoyed reading about each character in this book. I felt as if I could be friends with them. The only rub I had was with Jenna. I never could decide if I loved or hated her. I think I loved to hate her. The characters are well balanced throughout the book. 

The plot is written in a way that engages you as a reader. There are twists and turns on every page. It was a book that I found hard to put down. I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh was a thriller that kept me on my toes. The author weaves the web, that will entangle every single reader. 

It has some sucker punches you can see coming, and others that will blindside you completely.
The book is tense as heck. Shocking as all get out. With all of that said this was a great book and one that will be living on myself for some time to come. An easy five stars.

Disclaimer: I received this book through NetGalley from the publisher in exchange for an honest and completely unbiased review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Links to Purchase: Amazon and Barnes&Noble 

Goodreads Description: 

The next blockbuster thriller for those who loved The Girl on the Train and Gone Girl...a novel with "an astonishing intensity that drags you in and never—ever—lets you go." (Daily Mail, UK)
 
On a rainy afternoon, a mother's life is shattered as her son slips from her grip and runs into the street . . .
 

I Let You Go follows Jenna Gray as she moves to a ramshackle cottage on the remote Welsh coast, trying to escape the memory of the car accident that plays again and again in her mind and desperate to heal from the loss of her child and the rest of her painful past.

At the same time, the novel tracks the pair of Bristol police investigators trying to get to the bottom of this hit-and-run. As they chase down one hopeless lead after another, they find themselves as drawn to each other as they are to the frustrating, twist-filled case before them. Elizabeth Haynes, the author of Into the Darkest Corner, says, “I read I Let You Go in two sittings; it made me cry (at least twice), made me gasp out loud (once), and above all made me wish I'd written it . . . A stellar achievement.”
 
*Peter James, author of Want You Dead
 

No comments:

Post a Comment