Sunday, May 7, 2017

Author Interview : Charity Tober


Today I have author Charity Tober with me fore an interview. I am very excited to share this interview with all of you readers. She recently has published the cutest children's book, Roly-Poly Monsters, the name might sound familiar because I recently reviewed on this blog. You can check out my thoughts on the book, but for now, let's get to know a little more about author Charity Tober. 




 Where do you get your ideas? 
     
Everywhere really. I have gotten ideas for stories from something I read, something I saw, something I heard and even from dreams. Inspiration is everywhere.

What is your writing process like?

I am big on outlines and organization when it comes to my writing. Typically when I get a new idea for a story, I spend a few days just jotting down ideas, coming up with characters, potential scenes and just thoughts about where I envision the story going. Then I like to write out a broad outline, so I have a sense of how the story plays out, and go from there. Writing every day is very important I think, even if it’s just a few hundred words, you just have get something down.

What are the upsides and downsides to being an author?

The upside about being an author to me is just the exciting process of creating characters, worlds and stories from your imagination. It’s so fun to see your characters almost take a life of their own during the writing process and just the journey from vague idea to final draft. It is always amazing how a story typically ends up so different and so much better than you initially envisioned it.

The downside is that writing can be frustrating at times (writer’s block is the worst!). There are some days that you love your story and some days that you wonder why you even started it. You just have to remember to take a deep breath and realize that your first draft will not be perfect. It takes many, many hours or writing and rewriting to get an idea to where it needs to be.


Tell me about your book Roly-Poly Monster

Roly-Poly Monster is a story that I wrote for my son when he was around four years old. I had just finished reading him a library book that had monsters in it and he was rolling around the living room floor. I jokingly called him a roly-poly monster and the idea of a little red furry monster kid that rolls everywhere he goes just popped in my head. 

The book is basically just that. The character of Roly-Poly Monster is a cute, fun and curious little monster kid that loves to roll. The book starts when he wakes up and rolls out of bed and follows him throughout his adventurous day and ends when he sleepily rolls back into bed that night. I tried to capture the fun, carefree and curious way that children view the everyday world around them. 

My husband, Andrew Tober, is an industrial designer and did all of the illustrations for the book.


 How did you come up with the title of your book?

The title of the book is the name of the main character and is pretty self-explanatory. He’s a little round furry monster who likes to roll everywhere he goes—so the name Roly-Poly Monster fits him pretty well!


What inspired you to want to write children’s literature? 

I have always loved children’s books because the plots are typically very fun and silly and never seem to take things too seriously—Dr. Suess is a prime example! It wasn’t until after my son was born though that I actually started to get into writing for kids. 


Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

If readers enjoy reading Roly-Poly Monster, they can continue the fun in Roly-Poly Monster Goes to the Zoo! I am also working on my third children’s picture book set to be released this year (with a different character).

How can readers discover more about you and you work?


No comments:

Post a Comment