Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Book Review: Dangerous Ends




Honestly, I have not read the previous books. I really didn't struggle with his book. It could have been a stand alone, due to the amount of background information that was included. I appreciated that.  Silent City and Down the Darkest Street, are the previous books, in case you want to browse those before reading this one. I don't think you need to necessary. 

This was a pretty good, crime novel. I am not normally a fan of this type of genre, but this one made me a fan. So the only other book about a private eye was The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler. This was my favorite book. I even named my dog Marlowe because of it. I expected great things from Dangerous Ends, and man did it deliver.

This is an intense, and fast paced novel. I really enjoyed that aspect. This is the story of Pete Fernandez, who is a laid back private investigator that hunts cheating husband. He catches them in the act and gets justice. He also hunts down those who have skipped bail, skipped AA  or committed a number of other offenses. He thinks these days are behind him though. You can't get away from this type of life, can you? 

This guy is always getting himself into some sort of situation, which became a little much at times. Occasionally, I had to roll my eyes because of the predictability of some of the storylines, but again it wasn't a bad story. I just thought it got a little repetitive and a little predicted, which is the danger in crime novels. 

I enjoyed the miani and cuban history aspect of this book. It is defenatly a timely book given the current uncertanty with Cuba. I think it was really well done and reseatched. I liked Natural miami lifestyle that was protrayed trhough out this book. I enjoyed the colorful expression of the lifestyle. 

I loved the story line also, the opening in 1959, with the crisis of Cuba. At the time that the country of Cuba is crumbling. He is heartbroken as the country he loves is falling apart. He hears that some people that he knew have lost their lives. His family is on the run. Then the book brings us to present day Miami. The shift was eloquent and wonderful. 


Disclaimer: I received this book in exchange for my honest and completely unbiased review. All thoughts are my own.




Goodreads Description: 

Pete Fernandez has settled into an easy, if somewhat boring life as a P.I.. He takes pictures of cheating hhusbands. He tracks criminals who’ve skipped bail and he attends weekly AA meetings The days of chasing murderous killers are behind him. Or are they?

When his sometimes partner Kathy Bentley approaches him with a potential new client, Pete balks. Not because he doesn’t need the money, but because the case involves Gaspar Varela, a former Miami police officer serving a life sentence for the murder of his wife - one of the most infamous crimes in Miami history. The client? None other than Varela’s daughter, Maya, who’s doggedly supported her father’s claims of innocence.

As Pete and Kathy wade into a case that no one wants, they also find themselves in the crosshairs of Los Enfermos, a bloodthirsty gang of pro-Castro killers and drug dealers looking to wipe Pete off the Miami map. As if trying to exonerate Varela wasn’t enough, they find themselves entangled in something even older and more surprising—a bloody, political hit ordered by Fidel Castro himself, that left a still-healing scar on Pete—and his dead father’s—past.

Fast-paced, hardboiled and surprising, Dangerous Ends pushes Pete Fernandez into a battle with a deadlier, more complex threat, as he tries to shake off the demons haunting Miami’s own, sordid past


A Little About The Author: 

Alex Segura is a novelist and comic book writer. He is the author of the Miami crime novels featuring Pete Fernandez, SILENT CITY and DOWN THE DARKEST STREET, and DANGEROUS ENDS, via Polis Books.

He has also written a number of comic books, including the best-selling and critically acclaimed ARCHIE MEETS KISS storyline, the “Occupy Riverdale” story, ARCHIE MEETS RAMONES and the upcoming THE ARCHIES one-shot.

He lives in New York with his wife and son. He is a Miami native.





No comments:

Post a Comment