Sunday, June 4, 2017

Book Review: Dark Places


I have tried to hold out from reading this book for so long as I could. I normally hate books that have so much hype and that everyone is reading. They tend to be overdone and overrated. I was surprised with how different this one was. I am glad I finally picked up this one.  This is such complex and well-developed mystery

OMG, this book is incredible, its intense and crazy good. This really made me sick to my stomach and made me incredible sad. There is something wonderfully evil and gross about this story. I couldn't believe how deep this story was. 

“I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ. Slit me at my belly and it might slide out, meaty and dark, drop on the floor so you could stomp on it.”

This book will make you want to lose hope for humanity. This has a lot of horror in it so if you can't stomach that, then this might not be the book for you. I actually really went into this book with expectations, theories, and such, and they were all wrong. You can't really expect what happens, you just go with the flow. 

The main character is Libby Day, a troubled woman, who has seen the worst, and is scared from it. She is truly the most unique, and most unforgettable character that I have ever met. She is so mentally scared, and emotionally numb. She is trouble, and she believes everybody owes her, due to her past. She also is someone that doesn't really take responsibility for anything, or her actions. The crazy thing that she feels like a real person, I feel like I could be taking to her in real life, her actions seem real. I really can feel how bitter she is, and how cynical. It's very understandable of course. 

Her unhappy, depressed, and deeply defeated voice is so unforgettable, and haunting. 


i was not a lovable child, and i'd grown into a deeply unlovable adult. draw a picture of my soul, and it'd be a scribble with fangs.


I liked that Dark Places is a book that alternates between two different time periods. The first is present day, and the second is 1985. This was refreshing and an interesting part of this story. 

In 1985 her brother Ben Day massacred her entire family, the only one surviving the blood shed was Libby Day. She somehow survived this gruesome act, but wasn't left unscarred. She was seven, so she can remember everything, all that gruesome bloodshed. It is heartbreaking. She testifies agains him and her brother is convinced of those almost satanic murders, justice for his horrendous actions.

More than the story, the writing is the real show stopper her. It is just nothing short of pure talent. I was I was completely sucked into the mystery, and into the action. I really loved it. 

   


Goodreads Descriptions: 

Libby Day was just seven years old when her evidence put her fifteen-year-old brother behind bars.

Since then, she has been drifting. But when she is contacted by a group who are convinced of Ben's innocence, Libby starts to ask questions she never dared to before. 

Was the voice she heard her borther's? Ben was a misfit in their small town, but was he capable of murder? Are there secrets to uncover at the family farm or is Libby deluding herself because she wants her brother back?

She begins to realise that everyone in her family had something to hide that day... especially Ben. Now, twenty-four years later, the truth is going to be even harder to find.

Who did massacre the Day family?

No comments:

Post a Comment