Friday, August 11, 2017

Book Review: Fortunately, the Milk


I was extremely skeptical about this book. Due to its odd nature and just seeming lack of plot development. I have never read a book by Neil Gaiman, and maybe we don't mesh that well. It was a fast paced read, but it seemed to lack a point. It felt rushed and the moral seemed a bit, lost I guess? It is a very quick read with lots of full page illustration and a huge font. I finished this book in like 30 mins because I kept having to really analysis the message. 


It starts out with a really cute premise and honestly it had so much potential. The story is centered around a dad who is going out and getting milk for his lovely little children, and apparently a huge adventure occurs. The kids are left at home having to eat their dry cereal, which is pretty sad. Then their dad just randomly leaves for milk. The dad ends up being kidnapped by aliens, meets a crazy cool dinosaur, is almost made a sacrifice for a tribal people, and so much more. It is all pretty wild! I enjoyed this book cleverness. I have never read anything like it before. 

Another thing that made me dislike this book, was that the story really jumped around and didn't seem to have any rhyme or reason. It is something that may confuse a child but I believe it would open great dialog with an adult or older child. 


Overall it was a rather cute read, just not super memorable. It would be a fantastic read for children. I believe it would teach them not to tell tall tales. I recommend pretty much every age category. It would be perfect as a first chapter book for little boys. 

I purchased this book from book outlet  and so I need to  read Coraline, and The Graveyard Book next. 


Goodreads Description: 


"I bought the milk," said my father. "I walked out of the corner shop, and heard a noise like this: thummthumm.

 I looked up and saw a huge silver disc hovering in the air above Marshall Road."

"
Hullo," I said to myself. "That's not something you see every day. 


And then something odd happened."

Find out just how odd things get in this hilarious story of time travel and breakfast cereal.

No comments:

Post a Comment