Saturday, August 12, 2017

Book Review: Rooms ****MILD SPOILERS****


 
Title: Room
Author: Emma Donoghue
Page Count: 325 pages
Where I received it: Purchased it from thrift store
Published : September 13th 2010 
Publisher:  Little, Brown and Company
Actual Rating: 5/5 stars 

Also it is important to note that I watched the movie before reading the book. In my humble opinion the movie was much better. Which is something I never thought I would say! 
****MILD SPOILERS****

Every thing about this book broke my heart. I could believe what I was reading. I found that this book was ridiculous at certain parts, painful at times and then my heart felt joy. This is a book that I never thought I would read. I wasn't sure with my PTSD, my heart could take such a traumatic story. This was a book I devoured twice, both in one sitting. It will forever stick in my mind about the greatest crime fiction of all time.  It should be noted that this is based on a true story, that will make you sick. 

In the beginning of the world we see just a typical mother and son relationship. We really don't have any insight to her kidnapping. She is being the best mom that she knows how to be, but she's slowly breaking apart for years of abuse and isolation. It is a very hard life that she has to deal with. Another problem she has is her five year old son named Jack, who is getting more curious and rambunctious. She is really struggling with answering and comforting. She has created a small house inside their tiny room. She has tried to make it look home and decorate but the walls have been suffocating her. 

The story has an interesting voice and narrator, who is a five year old boy. This made me pretty skeptical, how would a five year old be able to properly explain things and drop clues. Much to my surprise his voice was incredible authentic and real. I felt like there was a five year old telling me about his life. 

Although there were issues with him being the narrator. Often times he was trying to explain serious and adult topics, through the eyes of a five year old. As you can imagine it did cause a tiny bit of annoyance, but I believe the point was to invoke some of the emotions the mother felt around him. There is also a air of depression surrounding Jake and I disliked that a five year old had so much depression. Given the situation I realize it is appropriate for him. 

There were a few scenes with him that were particularly hard for me to wrap my brain around. When talking about spending some quality time with his mother he describes it in a strange way

I get on Ma’s lap in Rocker with our legs all jumbled up. She’s the wizard transformed into a giant squid and I’m prince JackerJack and I escape in the end. We do tickles and Bouncy Bouncy and jaggedy shadows on Bed Wall

This might have been cute at first but is immature attitude was simply grating. He also didn't seem to have a lack of knowledge which seems a little implausible. He also seems to be educated in history thanks to his mom and the TV but yet he talks to objects and his mom like he is an infant. 

My last issue is the plot line. I am not going to spoil the rest of the book or movie for you but I do want to mention the whole escape seemed convenient and totally impractical. It was most like they put it in as an after thought. 


Links for purchase:
 Amazon // Barnes and Noble // Abe Books // Albiris //  Book Depository // Better World Through Books // Half // Indie Bound


Goodreads Description: 


To five-year-old Jack, Room is the entire world. It is where he was born and grew up; it's where he lives with his Ma as they learn and read and eat and sleep and play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits.


Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, and fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough...not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery and a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.

Told entirely in the language of the energetic, pragmatic five-year-old Jack, Room is a celebration of resilience and the limitless bond between parent and child, a brilliantly executed novel about what it means to journey from one world to another.




No comments:

Post a Comment