Book Info
| |||
Finding grace and laughter when motherhood gets real
Soon after Jessica Kastner became a mother, she wondered if she was the only mom who found pretend play more boring than watching playdough harden and who dreaded yet another friend's Instagram post of homemade deliciousness.
In Hiding from My Kids in the Prayer Closet, Kastner shares her experience as an "unmom"-a mom who loves her kids more than she loves the daily experience of mothering. She helps readers laugh at the ridiculous, delight in the unpredictable, and enjoy being the mothers God made them to be.
I was very excited for this book when I saw it. The premise sounded intriguing, the title was funny, and some of the sample chapters drew me in. I am not a biological mom, but I am a foster mom and hope one day to be a mom. I find it interesting to read books on parenting. I also think I can give my future clients advice, once I get to this point. That's basically what initially made me want to check out this book.
I want to start out by talking about the writing in this book. It is just super fantastic. The writing is truly captivating. It will keep your interest and make you want to want to flip the pages continually. The way that she describes her self is super cute and right based on her writing style. She just seems like someone I could be friends with.
She is so honest and real about parenting. About how overwhelming it can be. How stressful it is, and how much love your kids bring you. She is very candid, and she will give you more details than you ever asked for, I believe many women will enjoy that. Although if you are squeamish about childbirth and other situations that happen with children, perhaps skip this book.
I liked that she gave excellent advice. With real-life tips for overcoming issues and obstacles. The book is filled with funny an anecdotes and heavy with amusement. There is so much I could relate to. I felt like she weaved faith into the story without feeling preachy. Hiding from the Kids in My Prayer Closet is probably one of my favorite parenting books I have read in a long time.
I liked a lot of this book, but some things made me cringe at points. For that, it loses some stars. I know that she loves her kids and everything. But her referencing them being "accidents" really bothered me. No child should be referred to as an accident. I know she is saying that they didn't plan to have them. I just didn't appreciate the "jokes" about it throughout the book.
In conclusion, I believe any mother, especially overwhelmed moms would probably benefit from reading this book. I feel like moms from all walks of life could find some humor in this book as well. I believe I will be keeping this for when I have kids. Great book!
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher and Litfuse in exchange for my honest opinion. All thoughts are my own.
Jessica Kastner is an award-winning journalist and a contributor for the Christian Broadcasting Network's CBN.com, Beliefnet.com, and the Huffington Post's Christianity blog. As Connecticut's coordinator for Straight Ahead Ministries, she shares God's message of hope by leading Bible studies in juvenile detention centers. When she's not on the trampoline with her three boys in Connecticut, Jessica shares her unapologetically "real" commentary on the Christian life at www.JessicaKastner.com.
Find out more about Jessica at http://jessicakastner.com.
| |||
Friday, July 21, 2017
Book Tour: Hiding from the Kids in My Prayer Closet
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment