Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Book Review: Everything Everything


“Just because you can’t experience everything doesn’t mean you shouldn’t experience anything.”

This is one of those books that just blows your mind. I loved this book so much. It is a cute YA contemporary with an amazing twist. With that said it has many issues. I will list those and then explain my review. Here we go! 

Things I disliked about this book: 

1) Insta love / Boy crazy main character / Borderline stalker vibe
2) The book lacked a story due to the lack of chapters. 
3) Way to many drawings / instant messages / other things 
4) Story was slow, felt like it went no where until the end.
5) Ended way to soon, in a pretty package with a lot of unresolved questions
Read number 6 only if you want to be spoiled. 

6) Weird way the decontamination / air lock was explained. Felt like a plot hole.

Everything Everything was a sad story about a mystery illness. It starts out with this girl Madeline, who is a sweet girl version of the boy in the bubble. She has a mystery illness that makes her allergic to almost everything know to man. This is a rare issue. Instead of a bubble her house keeps her extra safe with air filters and even an air lock/ decontamination center. 

What I loved about Madeline was that she was a person of color. It gave this book a much needed diversity. I also loved the fact that she was a prolific reader. She even gave little book reviews when talking about her reading. I disliked that sometimes they actually spoiled the books. She quickly connected with me because I read constantly. Any character that reads books, is good in my book. 

I loved the relationship with her mother in the beginning. I actually found my self wish my mom and I could be as close as it seems that they are. At the same time I would be lying if I didn't admit this made me a tad bit suspicious of her. It was almost as if they had a fake relationship. For what ever reason, this woman gave me red flags. SPOILER ALERT!! READ AT OWN RISK: [Her mother ended up lying to her the whole time. She was never sick, at most she had a ear infection or something in her early life (don't quote me). While it is never explained I believe her mother had munchausen by proxy. This is when a person who is mentally ill makes up or causes an illness or injury in a person under his or her care, such as a child, an elderly adult, or a person who has a disability. This is never mentioned or really explained which made me so annoyed.

I found the relationship a tad bit tedious and at times overly described. 

The story changes when a hunk of a dream boat boy moves in next door. Which brings me to issue number one on my list. Insta love and a bit of a stalker vibe. Our main character becomes obsessed with them, even writing down their schedules. It turns out his family is dysfunctional and his dad is abusive to almost everyone in his family. SPOILER: His dad hits his mom and maddie is extremely upset by this. She is eager to go outside and save him because of this. She is also eager to get to now him. The family next door tries to make nice with the neighbors and brings over a bunt cake. Maddie mom says no, honestly I thought that this situation this situation could have been handled differently. She was overly rude to them. This situation is the catalyst for everything that continues forward. 

Overall, I thought this was a fantastic book! It was extremely funny and sad, which was a nice mix. I definitely recommend this one, especially if you like cute, unique contemporary books.

Goodreads Description: 


My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment