Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Book Review: Lullaby Road




                                                                                   BOOK INFORMATION:                                                                  


Ben Jones, protagonist of the glowingly reviewed Never-Open Desert Diner, returns in a devastatingly powerful literary crime novel about parenthood, loss, and the desert in winter.
Winter has come to Highway 117, a remote road through the Utah desert trafficked only by oddballs, fugitives, and those looking to escape the world. So when local truck driver Ben Jones finds an abandoned, mute Hispanic child at a lonely gas station along his route, far from any semblance of proper civilization, he knows something has gone terribly awry. With the help of his eccentric neighbors, Ben sets out to help the kid and learn the truth. In the process he makes new friends and loses old ones, finds himself in mortal danger, and uncovers buried secrets far more painful than he could have imagined.











                                                                        MY THOUGHTS ON THE BOOK                                                              

This book was such a let down for me. I went into it hyped from reviews and the synopsis and man was it just so disappointing to me. I don't know if reading so much in the last five years of this blog has changed my reading tastes but I really thought I would love this book. 

When I first went into this book I didn't know it was a sequel to a book called The Never-Open Desert Dinner. I think reading the first book would have helped my enjoyment. I like to go into my books not hyped up and completely open, so perhaps it was that. 

In this story, we follow the mysterious Ben who is a truck driver who is in search of the truth when he finds an abandoned child, things will never be the same for him after that. He is in danger, and there is so much he is about to find out. 

I loved the writing in this book. The character development is well done. The people felt real. The author manages to weave an interesting story out of pretty standard plot points. At points of the book I just sat it down and really never felt the need to pick it back up, I did eventually of course. That is just the issue for me. I should have devoured this book and I was just like okay well maybe one day I will finish. I think I might pick up the first book and re-read this one and see if my thoughts change. 

Overall it was just an okay book. 

Disclaimer: I received this book from Blogging for Books in exchange for my honest and unbiased review. 







No comments:

Post a Comment