Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Author Interview: The Same Time


The Same Time
Brona Mills
(Time Series, #2)
Publication date: April 23rd 2018
Genres: Adult, Science Fiction, Time-Travel
A brave young mother, a time-traveling good Samaritan, and a love that must endure the tests of time…
Stella is fighting against her circumstances. Pregnant and caring for her own mother, twenty-one-year-old Stella is tough, and doing the best she can.Butin her darkest hour, helparrives in the form of a handsome and mysterious man who knows more about her than seems reasonable.
A scientist, David has unlocked the keys to time travel and uses his knowledge to save Stella’s life, over and over.But will David turn out to be her salvation, or the beginning of her greatest heartbreak? While David strives to assist Stella on her path, he does so without realizing he may be risking his chances of returning safely to his own time in the process.
When Stella meets a younger David on her own timeline—long before his time traveling days have begun—they begin a love affair that will change both their lives. The question is, will their love be strong enough to change the devastating future they share, and how much will Stella tell her love about what she knows of their shared future and demise?
“…a great story of love transcending time against all odds” – Amazon Reviewer
This is the second book in the connected Time Series and can be read as a standalone.

Author Interview:

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

In late 2010/ start of 2011.  A couple of months after I had my first child.  I remember driving in the car and it popped into my head – I want to write a book, I day dream ALL the time, and I wanted to write them down and work them into a story.  It was almost two year later, when I had kid no2 that I realised I had the story of Audrey and Michael (from book one, A Time For Everything) in my head.  I rushed off to write it all down, then I had 10k words and didn’t know what to do with it! 

How long does it take you to write a book?

The first book was the longest, because my kids were two-and-a-half and six-months-old when I started, and I also worked around 30hrs a week in the evenings, so time constraints was a big thing. I also had to teach myself how to write.  I read every book I could get out the library on how to write a novel.  I went through a whole load of books on amazon and wrote an awful first draft.  I joined a writer’s workshop and painfully spent forever re-writing.  As the kids got older, things got a little easier, and in the end, when I figured more and more out (even things about using a word document that I didn’t know ha!) it got a little quicker.  But from start, to publish of book one, was about four years.  I’d say a year of that was learning how to write, and how to publish. 
The second book was released almost a year to the day later!  It was quicker as I had a lot of things on Stella already written. Again, the last six months is in editing and last minute changes and publsihing, so I don’t know, does that count?
The rate I’m going, I’m hoping that Saving Dystopia (my brand new project) will be in the year or less mark too!  I’d love to say quicker, but honestly, I never think what I’ve written is good enough, and I need loads of time and editing to make sure that what I publish is as good as it can be.  I wish I could write shorter books, and get them out there in the two to three month mark like so many kindle series, but I just don’t think that’s working for me right now.  Perhaps after book 3, when I have more experience, I’ll get quicker – and you know, if I win the lotto, I can give up my job and write full time!   

Where did the idea for The Same Time come from? What was the inspiration? 

Oh this is a great question ’cause I never intended to write about these two characters, or throw the things at them that I did. When I was learning how to write in book one, I read some advice – think about what your characters would never do, and go make them do it. Well for the main characters in book one (Audrey and Michael) I couldn’t think of anything that wasn’t already in play but Stella just spoke to me.  There was a major event in her own life, that she was the cause of, and ultimately had a huge impact on her relationship – even through the whole of book one, I, (the writer!) still had no clear idea why she did it. It really niggled at me, and I wanted to explore her more – ’cause I love her!  Stella, I think is the favourite character I’ve ever written.  She was a young single mother, and she was coping with so many hits in life, but still managed to make the career she needed and pull her whole family out of trouble.   And after I think a couple of weeks of looking at it, the answer hit me!  I knew exactly why she did it – it was like someone whispered in my ear what happened and then I realised there was a whole other story that needed to be told.  I wanted to look at people and their perceptions of life and the universe.  I don’t think we mean to, but people in general put themselves at the centre of their own lives (and that’s not a bad thing).  We just look at what happens to us and our immediate family, sometimes we can forget that major things can be happening in people’s lives around us.  Especially if those other people are hiding it well.  We can think that we are the only ones going through something major (like Michael was in A Time For Everything) that if we forget to stop and check, our best friends can be going through something of their own struggles. Sometimes people look like they have their shit together, but if you scratch the surface, they’re scrambling like everyone else. Hence the title The Same Time, I wanted to show what was happening to Stella and David at the same time we were all focused on Michael and Audrey in book one. 

Describe The Same Time using seven words.

I’m going to cheat – and give you seven with some descriptions!

Though provoking – what really is destiny? 
Time travel – what can you really influence?
Romance – hot guy meets hot girl, and things eventually get steamy
Heart breaking – ‘cause sometimes life gets in the way
Overcoming sterotypes – Stella is a young single mother (in the late 90s) and works her ass off to work her way up her career ladder.
Friendship – David and Michael.  David and Stella.  Stella and Michael. They all look out for each other.
Awareness – How much do you really know about your best friend lives? 


 What do you hope readers get from your book? 

Entertainment!  I hope the read it, and fall in love, and get taken on an adventure.  Someone left a review along the lines that they got schooled about thoughts becoming reality and I loved that!  If you think negative about something, it will be a negative thing in your own perception of things, and that will be your own interpretation of reality.  And you can change that!  Always look for the silver lining (if the situation calls for it) and bring the positive from it, then things will be a little more positive in your own perception of things!  It makes for a much happier life! 

What was your favorite part when writing The Same Time? 


I was cooking the kid’s dinner one evening, and bam, this realisation about a certain plot development popped into me head.  It was a major thing in book one, and it was never suppose to connect to the characters of book 2 the way it did – but it made so much more sense that they were all involved and that was pretty cool.  There was a situation that the characters in book one had no idea they were connected to, and again, I never realised it until halfway through writing book two, and I was pretty happy that it would make so much sense.  It actually made the overall theme of the book that little better, even though I never wanted the thing to happen, I actually gasps when I realised what I was going to have to write, but it really did work!




Author Bio:
Brona Mills has defied the odds of overcoming dyslexia and failing High School English to become an author. Her first book, A Time for Everything, has been met with great reviews from both the romance readers and the sci-fi time travel lovers, that Brona kept the series going. Book two in the connected series, The Same Time is out 23rd April, and Brona's not stopping there. She is currently working on two other projects, a novella in the connected Time Series, and a new stand alone time travel novel with a dystopian element.

XBTBanner1

1 comment: