Saturday, June 9, 2018

Book Review: The Girl In Between





                                                                                   BOOK INFORMATION:                                                                  


Bryn Reyes is a real life sleeping beauty. Afflicted with Klein-Levin Syndrome, she suffers episodes of prolonged sleep that steal weeks, and sometimes even months, from her life. But unlike most KLS patients, she doesn’t spend each episode in a catatonic state or wake up with no recollection of the time she’s missed. Instead, Bryn spends half her life in an alternate reality made up of her memories. For Bryn, the past is a place, until one day a boy she’s never met before washes up on the illusory beach of her dreams with no memory of who he is.

But the appearance of this strange boy isn’t the only thing that’s changed. Bryn’s symptoms are worsening, her body weakening as she’s plagued by hallucinations even while awake. Her only hope of finding a cure is to undergo experimental treatment created by a German specialist. But when Dr. Banz reveals that he knows more about her strange symptoms than he originally let on, Bryn learns that the boy in her head might actually be the key to understanding what’s happening to her, and worse, that if she doesn’t find out his identity before it’s too late, they both may not survive.






                                                                        MY THOUGHTS ON THE BOOK                                                              

The Girl In Between is different than most books that I have read, and I read a bunch of books. It was an excellent way to start a young adult paranormal series. I love when I start a series and all the books are published and available to read. That is the case with this trilogy, so I suggest you go check them out! To be honest, when I got this book, I was a little nervous. The story was so great and the book really impressed me and grabbed my attention from the get-go. I found that this was one of those books that I really can't just put down. 

"She liked to fill the emptiness, especially when she was nervous, which was all the time. But words were just a side effect, not a remedy." 

The Girl In Between is about a teenager named Bryn. She has a rare sleep disorder that is called Klein-Levin Syndrome, which is also known as sleeping beauty syndrome. I had never heard of this disorder but it was super interesting to read about. I found it to be an interesting, "sort of" twist on the classic fairy tale. 

The story takes a unique twist when Bryn enters a weird realm during one of her extended sleeping episodes. She meets a boy who is quite mysterious and interesting. She tries to uncover the mysteries about him. Things like who he is, why he is in another realm, and if he is actually real or not. In between these episodes are visits to doctors and medical specialist in an attempt to find a cure for this rare disorder.  I thought the ending was completely crazy and captivating. It made me want to pick up the second book right away. I can't wait to continue into this interesting storyline. 

"He was the color of a hydrangea before it blooms, wilting like one too, every inch of him sunken and bruised."

My favorite part of The Girl In Between is that the characters are so wonderful. They have so many complexities to them and are actually three dimensional. All while being real and super believable. I loved Bryn as a character. I thought she had a great combination of weaknesses and real strengths. I felt so much for her. It really made me wish there was a cure for her condition and made me understand the issues that people like her face every day. I ended up so interested I did a ton of research into it. The second character that I really loved was her grandmother. She was funny and lovable. 

"That was one of the worst things about being sick. Someone was always waiting on you, which meant disappointing people was inevitable."

Overall, The Girl In Between is a complex and captivating novel. It is full of twists and turns. I found it to be so intriguing and mysterious. The most original paranormal premise I have read in a long time. It was honestly beautifully written.  It handled so many issues that teenagers face in such a real and impactful way. I am glad I picked this book up on Amazon. I hope you will as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment