Author: Sophie Kinsella
Page Count: 433 pages
Where I received: From The Library
Actual Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Stars
I have never read a Sophie Kinsella novel before. This fact will probably make me a horrible reader. I just have never been all that interested in chick lit before. I saw this one at the library and wanted something funny and quick for summer. This is a cute entertaining, but it is far from the best book. At the same time, it wasn't the worst either.
The book starts out with Poppy the main character losing her engagement ring. The main characters are silly, amusing, and pretty well developed. Sam is a great protagonist, and Poppy has the personality that is worth a million bucks. Which brings me to my first issue with this book, I felt like there was so much chemistry between these two and almost none between Poppy and her actual fiancee Magnus.
I hated Magnus, the man Poppy was intending on marrying at some point. He was an obvious jerk, who was a pain. I didn't understand why Poppy was so interested in him. He was never romantic; he was never affectionate, he was never emotionally available to her. He seemed to not care about her. Or maybe he was annoyed by her personality, which I can't blame him for. His parents were even worse. They were pompous jerks. They did everything to make her feel unwelcome which made the ending confrontation extremely confusing and unnesseary.
This is entertaining to read, and quite funny at points. Just don't expect to be blown away by the writing style or storyline. If you like silly stories, misunderstandings, and complete annoying awkwardness then read this book. This is an incredibly unrealistic romantic comedy. With very little point. If you are looking for something mindless to read than this is the book for you.
I don't understand why everyone loves this author? Did I pick the wrong book to start out with? It just seemed basic.
Links to purchase: Amazon // Barnes & Noble
I’ve lost it. :( The only thing in the world I wasn’t supposed to lose. My engagement ring. It’s been in Magnus’s family for three generations. And now the very same day his parents are coming, I’ve lost it. The very same day! Do not hyperventilate, Poppy. Stay positive :) !!
Poppy Wyatt has never felt luckier. She is about to marry her ideal man, Magnus Tavish, but in one afternoon her “happily ever after” begins to fall apart. Not only has she lost her engagement ring in a hotel fire drill but in the panic that follows, her phone is stolen. As she paces shakily around the lobby, she spots an abandoned phone in a trash can. Finders keepers! Now she can leave a number for the hotel to contact her when they find her ring. Perfect!
Well, perfect except that the phone’s owner, businessman Sam Roxton, doesn’t agree. He wants his phone back and doesn’t appreciate Poppy reading his messages and wading into his personal life.
What ensues is a hilarious and unpredictable turn of events as Poppy and Sam increasingly upend each other’s lives through emails and text messages. As Poppy juggles wedding preparations, mysterious phone calls, and hiding her left hand from Magnus and his parents . . . she soon realizes that she is in for the biggest surprise of her life.
Poppy Wyatt has never felt luckier. She is about to marry her ideal man, Magnus Tavish, but in one afternoon her “happily ever after” begins to fall apart. Not only has she lost her engagement ring in a hotel fire drill but in the panic that follows, her phone is stolen. As she paces shakily around the lobby, she spots an abandoned phone in a trash can. Finders keepers! Now she can leave a number for the hotel to contact her when they find her ring. Perfect!
Well, perfect except that the phone’s owner, businessman Sam Roxton, doesn’t agree. He wants his phone back and doesn’t appreciate Poppy reading his messages and wading into his personal life.
What ensues is a hilarious and unpredictable turn of events as Poppy and Sam increasingly upend each other’s lives through emails and text messages. As Poppy juggles wedding preparations, mysterious phone calls, and hiding her left hand from Magnus and his parents . . . she soon realizes that she is in for the biggest surprise of her life.


No comments:
Post a Comment