Saturday, August 5, 2017

Book Review: Zenn Diagram

Author:  
Page Count: 328 Pages
Where I received: From The Library
Actual Rating: 2 out of 5 stars


Before I start this review I need to say I loved the premise of this book and the cover. Which I realize is a bad reason to read a book but still. Everyone in their sister loves this book, so I was pretty excited to start it. Unfortunately, it wasn't my kind of book though. 

When I found out that the main character of this book is a girl who loves math, I was pretty stinking excited. As a girl in a STEM program, this is a pretty could have been a great representation and inspired more girls to join. I also just think this is a great idea for a book. The parallels with math, the fractals the main character receives are really beautifully written. The details are described will, even if the reasoning isn't solid. It could have been pulled off in a really imaginative way.  

Essentially Eva Walker can't have contact with a single soul without having an in-depth look at the persons emotional struggles. This is something she had dealt with since before she can remember. She feels things so deeply and is forced to be rather withdrawn from people. She loves math but struggles with having only one friend. So of course since she is a tutor, her student just happens to be this boy named Zenn. One little touch from his jacket causes an emotional punch in the gut. Of course, the attraction between them grows and Eva must find a way to cope. 

Unfortunately for me, this book is, in my humble opinion, one hundred and ten percent instant love. It doesn't even pretend to hide it. The reason for connection can be seen a mile away. There is zero mystery because it is just so pat! I dislike the idea that giving up something you have worked hard for and wanted for is a romantic gesture. That is not romantic, it's completely idiotic. I know this is a difference of opinion but I feel like it shouldn't be viewed as selfish for having goals and working hard for them. 

I also dislike how much time Eva spends talking about how she is different, and "isn't like other girls." I was so annoyed by that comment by the end of the book. I really hated that she makes everything about herself and is honestly a horrible friend. She gets upset when her friend develops an interest in boys, clothes, or other supposed normal teenage things. This drove me up the wall because you can have different interests than your friends. It doesn't mean you can't be friends. 

In conclusion, this book is your typical young adult book. Filled with instant-love, fate, and ridiculous best friend drama. At least this idea was super interesting and fun, so that is something. This isn't the type of book for me, but that doesn't mean it is  a bad book at all. Try it out for yourself, you might just love it. 




Links to purchase: Amazon // Barnes & Noble


The more I touch someone, the more I can see and understand, and the more I think I can help. But that’s my mistake. I can’t help. You can’t fix people like you can solve a math problem.

Math genius. Freak of nature. Loner.


Eva Walker has literally one friend—if you don’t count her quadruplet three-year-old-siblings—and it’s not even because she’s a math nerd. No, Eva is a loner out of necessity, because everyone and everything around her is an emotional minefield. All she has to do is touch someone, or their shirt, or their cell phone, and she can read all their secrets, their insecurities, their fears.

Sure, Eva’s “gift” comes in handy when she’s tutoring math and she can learn where people are struggling just by touching their calculators. For the most part, though, it’s safer to keep her hands to herself. Until she meets six-foot-three, cute-without-trying Zenn Bennett, who makes that nearly impossible.

Zenn’s jacket gives Eva such a dark and violent vision that you’d think not touching him would be easy. But sometimes you have to take a risk…

No comments:

Post a Comment