Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Book Review: The Last Fifth Grade of Emerson Elementary


Tittle: The Last Fifth Grade of Emerson Elementary
Author: 
Page Count: 227 pages 
Where I received: Borrowed from library 
Actual Rating: 5/5 stars

Lately, I have really been loving poetry and different types of fiction, This makes for a great read for a read a then or a younger reader. This book was so deeply moving, and so surprising. I have a book hangover. I was quite worried about this book but it exceeded my low expectations. It is a rather deep story,   exploring issues, people, and major historical events. It didn't preach about it. There was a tale of the march on Washington.  As well as current social justice issues. 

This book takes the individual stories of eighteen different students. They aren't really dynamic or really thought out but you feel like you at least get an idea of them. The children are phenomenal and quite believable. The class is extremely diverse with many cultures and religion present. In front not faded into the background. 

These children come from such different backgrounds but some how to live in harmony, although there are a few issues with some. This makes it completely believe able. It is set up like a real school would be.  Some times the poems are silly but it's authentic for little kids. Each poem is entertaining, full of love, and quite insightful. The journal is passed around and given to the teacher every day. I feel like having no comments from the teacher is pretty cool. I thought the concept of making a time capsule and putting the poems in it was a genius. 

It also teaches kids now quick things change,  the school being closed really showed them that nothing is set in stone. The kids work through grief and sadness by trying to save their beloved school.  I enjoyed the bonus poem tips content. It made it seem like the writer really gave some thought to the how situation. 

Overall The Last Fifth Grade of Emerson Elementary was a delightedly fun read. With lessons for any child. Although this is a big book I would recumbent it to middle schoolers and up. Fasten your seatbelt and dive into this lovely book.

I picked up this book at my library, this is not a solicited review,  





Link to purchase:  Barnes and Noble





Laura Shovan’s engaging, big-hearted debut is a time capsule of one class’s poems during a transformative school year. Families change and new friendships form as these terrific kids grow up and move on in this whimsical novel-in-verse about finding your voice and making sure others hear it.

Eighteen kids,
one year of poems,
one school set to close.
Two yellow bulldozers
crouched outside,
ready to eat the building
in one greedy gulp.

But look out, bulldozers.
Ms. Hill’s fifth-grade class
has plans for you.
They’re going to speak up
and work together
to save their school.


Winner, Cybils Award in Poetry
An NCTE Notable Verse Novels
A Bank Street Best Children's Book of the Year
ILA-CBC Choices Reading Lists, Children’s Choices
SCBWI Crystal Kite Award Finalist

Nominated for:
Pennsylvania Young Reader’s Choice Awards
Wisconsin State Reading Association Children's Book Awards
Rhode Island Children’s Book Award
Great Stone Face Book Award
 

No comments:

Post a Comment