Worlds divide, magic slays, and love lies in the second book of Josephine Angelini’s The Worldwalker Trilogy.
"You think I’m a monster, but my choices, as ruthless as they seem, are justified."
Lily is back in her own universe, and she's ready to start a new life with Rowan by her side. True, she almost died in the Pyre that fueled their escape from New Salem, and must hide her magic for the safety of everyone she cares about, but compared to fighting the Woven, the monstrous creatures inhabiting the alternate Salem, life is looking pretty good.
Unfortunately, Lillian, ruthless ruler of the 13 Cities, is not willing to let Lily go that easily. If she can’t persuade Lily to return to her world, she will force her to come back by doing away with the ones she loves.
Picking up right where Trial By Fire left off, Firewalker is another sexy, fast-paced, heartbreaking thrill ride from internationally bestselling author Josephine Angelini!
Check out the book here.
MY THOUGHTS ON THE BOOK
Firewalker was a bit disappointing to me. I loved the idea behind this book, the blend of witches and other dimensions that this series contains. Unfortunately, like many series, the first book was so much better than the second. Firewalker lacks in a lot of areas. The central area is suspense, emotional connection, and I felt there was far too much drama.
In this book we follow Lily, who is a powerful witch. She is strong, with some selfdoubts. Inside Lilly lives an alternate identity named Lillian. Lillian is evil, wicked, and kills without emotion or even justifications. She wants to bring Lily into her world. Lilly is scared, so she keeps this a secret. Which ends up affecting everyone in her life. Of course, this leads to intense drama.
My main issue with her character is that I couldn't connect to Lilly, it seemed like she was far too passive, and really failed to grow in any fashion. Things happened to her, but she really never got around to fixing them, making them better, changing her outlook, taking charge. It was just disappointing in some ways. She is supposed to be a strong character, the hero, a worthy opponent, but she is far too dependent on others.
This book, has a tremendous amount of romance. I really disliked the love interest between Rowan and Lilly. They didn't seem like a perfect match. Their communication skills were terrible, which was the cause of almost all of their problems. They are avoidant and really don't want to get around to fixing their problem. I just wanted to yell at them to start talking to each other, communicate openly. There was just far too much drama in this book for my taste.
No of these characters show emotions. People die, and no one seems to react or care. That seemed unbelieve able to me. I didn't like that the characters didn't seem to have empathy or the ability to share emotions. This lack of emotional connection made the book dry and dull for me.
Despite all of my issues with this book, I did enjoy the writing. Josephine Angelini is so good at creating a magical world with alternate dimensions. I found that the development of the world and the way the societies are governed so exciting and moving. I enjoyed how the author weaved the present world with the fantasy alternative world.
Ultimately I am glad I gave this book a chance. I hope you check it out.


No comments:
Post a Comment