One of 12 siblings growing up in Depression-era Baltimore, Edith isn't quite sure of who she is. Between working at her father’s dinner, taking care of her younger siblings, and living in the shadow of her more mature sisters, Edith feels lost in a sea of siblings. When a kind teacher encourages Edith to be a teacher herself one day, Edith sees prospects for a future all her own.
Full of joy, pain, humor, and sadness, this novel in verse is a wonderful look at the life of Edith Paul, the author's mother, and is an enduring portrait (complete with family photos and an author's note at the end) of one family's pursuit of the American dream.
Link to check it out on Amazon.
MY THOUGHTS ON THE BOOK
Looking for me, is one of my favorite junior books and may become my favorite book I have read in 2018, but is quite early to give a book that award.
This book is truly a gem and a must for every young child's bookshelf.
In this story, we follow young and cute Edith. I felt like I connected with her right away. She made this adorable story such a great one. So Edith is a kid with a ton of siblings. It is the depression and while the story doesn't go into detail about hunger and other stuff surrounding the era we do get glimpses into how the time affected our young Edith. I enjoyed that part.
This book would be great as supplemental information for an Immigration and Depression topics in both school and homeschool curriculum.
At the end of the story, there are family photos in the back. Finding out what happened to each one of them made the story really sweet. It also brought in some reality to the story, since it is based on the author mothers life. She did her mother's story justice for sure.
I want to talk about the structure of this book. It is a book written in verse, although it is not exactly a poem. It is set up in various stanzas and they are so beautiful I cried at times. It is gorgeous, captivating, and completely heartbreaking. This book is short and sweet, even a slow reader can whip through this book in a day. I encourage you to take time with this book though and savor it.
I am so glad I picked up this book at the library. You should check it out yourself!


No comments:
Post a Comment