Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Book Review: Today Will Be Different




                                                                                   BOOK INFORMATION:                                                                  


A genius novel from the author of Where'd You Go, Bernadette, about a day in the life of Eleanor Flood, forced to abandon her small ambitions when she awakes to a strange, new future unfolding. 

Eleanor knows she's a mess. But today, she will tackle the little things. She will shower and get dressed. She will have her poetry and yoga lessons after dropping off her son, Timby. She won't swear. She will initiate sex with her husband, Joe. But before she can put her modest plan into action-life happens. Today, it turns out, is the day Timby has decided to fake sick to weasel his way into his mother's company. It's also the day Joe has chosen to tell his office-but not Eleanor-that he's on vacation. Just when it seems like things can't go more awry, an encounter with a former colleague produces a graphic memoir whose dramatic tale threatens to reveal a buried family secret.

TODAY WILL BE DIFFERENT is a hilarious, heart-filled story about reinvention, sisterhood, and how sometimes it takes facing up to our former selves to truly begin living.
 



                                                                        MY THOUGHTS ON THE BOOK                                                              

I find it interesting that only 9 percent of Goodreads reviewers agree with me on this book. I loved Where'd You Go, Bernadette? And rated it 5 stars and only 27 percent of people on Goodreads agree with me. So perhaps Maria Semple is an author for a specific audience. 

I enjoyed this book so much I read it physically and also listen to it in the form of an audiobook.  I enjoyed it more on audio, but it was great either way in my humble opinion. The writing is fun and engaging in a way I have only seen Semple do in literature. This book is truly incredible, and I don't use that word lightly. I just don't understand why people dislike this book so much. I am left wondering if I read a different book than everyone else. 

In this novel, we follow the hilarious and witty Eleanor Flood. She is such a brilliant and original character. Eleanor was snarky and frank, almost always in a justifiable way. Although so many reviews disagree with what I said and believe her to be mean. The main character is an author, and she gives a real insight into the world of publishing, which can be cutthroat and hard. 

The book is filled with real current day's dilemmas whether it be a child who is experiencing bullying, a woman missing her husband, then a husband going missing, a woman suspecting an affair, meeting old coworkers in awkward situations, or even past childhood issues. I found the main character's comments on these stressful life situations funny and quite entertaining.

The only thing I disliked was the cringe-worthy situation with a former co-worker a bit off-putting, and I felt like the encounter went on far too long. The author spent a little too much time forcing the overachiever status on him.

Today Will Be Different is one of those books that will stick with you. It is easy to read and over before you can blink. I can't wait for the next book to come out. I love Maria Semple, and she has officially become an auto-read for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment