Sixteen-year-old Sana Kiyohara has too many secrets. Some are small, like how it bothers her when her friends don’t invite her to parties. Some are big, like that fact that her father may be having an affair. And then there’s the one that she can barely even admit to herself—the one about how she might have a crush on her best friend.
When Sana and her family move to California she begins to wonder if it’s finally time for some honesty, especially after she meets Jamie Ramirez. Jamie is beautiful and smart and unlike anyone Sana’s ever known. There are just a few problems: Sana’s new friends don’t trust Jamie’s crowd; Jamie’s friends clearly don’t want her around anyway; and a sweet guy named Caleb seems to have more-than-friendly feelings for her. Meanwhile, her dad’s affair is becoming too obvious to ignore anymore.
Sana always figured that the hardest thing would be to tell people that she wants to date a girl, but as she quickly learns, telling the truth is easy… what comes after it, though, is a whole lot more complicated.
Check out the book here: Amazon
MY THOUGHTS ON THE BOOK
THIS REVIEW HAS A SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!
I never go into a book expecting to love it. For some reason with It's not like it's a secret, I decided to have really high expectations. It is a young adult contemporary romance that is featuring a gay Japanese-American girl. I thought it sounded great and the diversity in this was great but aside from that it really was a let down for me.
I liked Sana as a character, she was cute and hilarious. Unfortunately, nothing really happened to her, and she doesn't have much character depth to her. I just never really could connect with her. To be honest, all of the characters were flat and disappointing. They didn't have any depth to them. Halfway through the book, I found myself not caring about them at all.
I felt like the romance was very insta-love. I really wanted Jaime and Sana's relationship to grow, to watch them fall in love, but it just seemed like they all the sudden were together, and I was left wishing I could have seen the relationship bloom. Also, I hate cheating storylines.
The writing seemed extraordinarily juvenile and overly simplified. I really didn't enjoy the writing style. The amount of acronyms and childish talk is horrible. I had to even look up some of the terms, so I guess I am too old for this style of the book.
Also for a book that is supposed to be diverse, there was so much racism that the characters say. It never gets addressed either. This makes the book uncomfortable. I understand the point of the racism, and where the author was going with it, she just never does get there. It has so many prejudices from various cultures about other cultures. It was important to give light to the beliefs people have, but it never addressed their views as wrong.
The ending was utterly dull and underwhelming. It was sort of like the author realized that she needed to wrap things up, so she put everything into a box and called it good. I just didn't like this book. Check it out for yourself as well.
THIS REVIEW HAS A SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!
I never go into a book expecting to love it. For some reason with It's not like it's a secret, I decided to have really high expectations. It is a young adult contemporary romance that is featuring a gay Japanese-American girl. I thought it sounded great and the diversity in this was great but aside from that it really was a let down for me.
I liked Sana as a character, she was cute and hilarious. Unfortunately, nothing really happened to her, and she doesn't have much character depth to her. I just never really could connect with her. To be honest, all of the characters were flat and disappointing. They didn't have any depth to them. Halfway through the book, I found myself not caring about them at all.
I felt like the romance was very insta-love. I really wanted Jaime and Sana's relationship to grow, to watch them fall in love, but it just seemed like they all the sudden were together, and I was left wishing I could have seen the relationship bloom. Also, I hate cheating storylines.
The writing seemed extraordinarily juvenile and overly simplified. I really didn't enjoy the writing style. The amount of acronyms and childish talk is horrible. I had to even look up some of the terms, so I guess I am too old for this style of the book.
Also for a book that is supposed to be diverse, there was so much racism that the characters say. It never gets addressed either. This makes the book uncomfortable. I understand the point of the racism, and where the author was going with it, she just never does get there. It has so many prejudices from various cultures about other cultures. It was important to give light to the beliefs people have, but it never addressed their views as wrong.
The ending was utterly dull and underwhelming. It was sort of like the author realized that she needed to wrap things up, so she put everything into a box and called it good. I just didn't like this book. Check it out for yourself as well.


No comments:
Post a Comment