Thursday, January 4, 2018

Book Review: Forget me not


                                                                                   BOOK INFORMATION:                                                                  

A girl with Tourette syndrome starts a new school and tries to hide her quirks in this debut middle-grade novel in verse.

Calliope June has Tourette syndrome. Sometimes she can't control the noises that come out of her mouth, or even her body language. When she and her mother move yet again, she tries to hide her TS. But soon the kids in her class realize she's different. Only her neighbor, who is also the class president, sees her as she truly is—a quirky kid, and a good friend. But is he brave enough to take their friendship public? 

As Callie navigates school, she must also face her mother's new relationship and the fact that she might be moving again—just as she's starting to make friends and finally accept her differences. This story of being true to yourself will speak to a wide audience.






                                                                        MY THOUGHTS ON THE BOOK                                                              


Forget me not,  is such a beautiful book. I just can't get over this book. It gave me all the feels and broke my heart at times. 

"It's Tourette's,"
Mom sucked in a breath,
choked on her own spit.
I popped a sucker in my mouth,
happy to have a name
for the weird things I did."


Forget me not,  is such a fantastic book. I really loved almost everything about it. The story is brave and gripping. 

In this book, we follow a girl named Calliope or Calli for short. She has Tourette's syndrome. She, unfortunately, moves a lot and starting a new school when you have a syndrome that causes you to make noises you can't control. Navigating through school is hard with her tics. It is tough for her to find friends, she was told to keep her tics to her self, to hide them if it were possible.    

She doesn't want to do that. Through the book she learns how to be true to herself, open up to people, and learn how to speak for yourself. She finally finds that there are people that make friends and ultimately accept her difference. 

Tourette's is a very
misunderstood
disorder
and if people knew,
they'd treat me different,
expect me to curse
spit in their face
give them the finger
because that's all they've seen in the movies
even though not everyone
who has Tourette's
does that."


The writing of this book is so moving and beautiful. It is written in verse, which lately is my absolute favorite way to read a book. I believe the message of this story shines in this type of format. There is a variety of poems in this book. There are list poems, sound poems, concrete poems,  that are all filled with so much emotion. I was really blown away by the writing. 

I can't believe this book is a debut novel. I can't wait to read more books from Ellie Terry. So glad I picked this book up from the library! 





No comments:

Post a Comment