Monday, January 1, 2018

Book Review: Talking As Fast As I Can



                                                                Book Information:                                                                                       


In this collection of personal essays, the beloved star of Gilmore Girls and Parenthood reveals stories about life, love, and working as a woman in Hollywood—along with behind-the-scenes dispatches from the set of the new Gilmore Girls, where she plays the fast-talking Lorelai Gilmore once again.

In Talking as Fast as I Can, Lauren Graham hits pause for a moment and looks back on her life, sharing laugh-out-loud stories about growing up, starting out as an actress, and, years later, sitting in her trailer on the Parenthood set and asking herself, “Did you, um, make it?” She opens up about the challenges of being single in Hollywood (“Strangers were worried about me; that’s how long I was single!”), the time she was asked to audition her butt for a role, and her experience being a judge on Project Runway (“It’s like I had a fashion-induced blackout”).

In “What It Was Like, Part One,” Graham sits down for an epic Gilmore Girls marathon and reflects on being cast as the fast-talking Lorelai Gilmore. The essay “What It Was Like, Part Two” reveals how it felt to pick up the role again nine years later, and what doing so has meant to her.

Some more things you will learn about Lauren: She once tried to go vegan just to bond with Ellen DeGeneres, she’s aware that meeting guys at awards shows has its pitfalls (“If you’re meeting someone for the first time after three hours of hair, makeup, and styling, you’ve already set the bar too high”), and she’s a card-carrying REI shopper (“My bungee cords now earn points!”).

Including photos and excerpts from the diary Graham kept during the filming of the recent Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, this book is like a cozy night in, catching up with your best friend, laughing and swapping stories, and—of course—talking as fast as you can.


Check the book out here

                                                  My Thoughts On This Book:                                                                                                                     


I want to go ahead and say that Talking As Fast As I Can is one of the best books that I have read in 2017 by far. So this review is going to be biased a bit, due to the Gilmore girls being a considerable part of my life and my favorite show. I think Gilmore Girls is one of the best contemporary TV shows that have ever been produced. I loved that this was a show about a mother and daughter who are best friends because that is the relationship I have with my mom. I was adopted by a single mom who hustled every day as a teacher trying to make ends meet, so the story was close to my heart. 

I had heard about this book months and months ago but was hesitant to pick it up. I have zero interest in reading about celebrities, and side from mental illness I really don't enjoy memoirs.  I had checked this book out from the library about 5 or 6 times without ever starting it, for some reason this last week when I was cleaning my house, I decided to listen to the audiobook. I was immediately engrossed in the book. I enjoyed the actress herself narrating it. I also got the print copy to follow along with. 

I honestly didn't expect to hate this book, I love Lauren Graham as a person.  I can't really imagine disliking her. She is just so down to earth and seems somewhat normal. It really is encouraging seeing that she didn't turn into a ridiculous person once she became famous. It is a refreshing change from a lot of Hollywood celebs. 

This is a nonfiction book. It starts out with her talking about her childhood, college years, plays that she performed in, first auditions, and various ways Lauren supported herself. She is honest and raw about the hard parts of show business, the rough things behind the glitz and glamour of stardom. The things interviewers do, the harassment they receive, the pressure to stay thin, the pressure to stay young, and various typecasting.  I really enjoyed following her success and see how she never gave up on her dream. The insights she gave on the filming of Gilmore Girls, made me love the show more. I also enjoyed listening about parenthood, even though I haven't seen a single episode. 

The only downside of this book was at points it seemed to be unorganized in parts. It seemed at times she just rambled on, and the personality quirks she tried to explain got somewhat annoying. All in all, I really didn't mind that so much. I really enjoyed the writing style in certain parts.

I picked this book up, and I am so glad I did. It is witty and hilarious. It is also really short, and the pages fly by!


No comments:

Post a Comment