Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Book Review: Futureface





                                                                                   BOOK INFORMATION:                                                                  

A journalist travels the globe searching for answers to the mystery of her own ancestry, along the way raising deeper questions about the American experience of race, immigration, exile, and identity.
 
The daughter of a Burmese mother and a white American father, Alex Wagner grew up thinking of herself as a “futureface”—an avatar of a mixed-race future when all races would merge into a brown singularity. But when one family mystery leads to another, Wagner’s post-racial ideals fray as she becomes obsessed with the specifics her own family’s racial and ethnic history. Drawn into the wild world of ancestry, she embarks upon a quest around the world—and into her own DNA—to answer the ultimate questions of who she really is and where she belongs.








                                                                        MY THOUGHTS ON THE BOOK                                                              

When I went into this book I was extremely intrigued. I love family history so I was ready for this book. Author Alex Wagner decides to delve into her family heritage and her family history. I found her family was a bit more interesting then just your average family. Her parents are from different areas. Her mother is Burnese and her father is an Iowan now living in D. C. 

She decides to trace her mothers side first and dives right into the Burnese. She travels to Burma to find her roots. She is looking to see buildings, houses, and schools that her family might have attended, lived in, and made memories. She finds this difficult due to people over taking the country and ultimately trying to obliterate the history and past of the country. She finds that records are well hard to come by. 

Then she turns to her Iowa history. I enjoyed reading her thoughts about her native side and how they were over taken by the United States. It was interesting reading about whether or not she really had the history she believed she did. I also learned that you can't really discover much after 150 years.

I found the DNA test sections good because it debunks and shows limitations that they have and how sometimes they aren't accurate. Or possibly our biases make it hard to accept the answers of our ancestry. 

Discalimer: I recieved this book from the Publisher and NetGally in echange for an honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment