Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Book Review: The Rest of Us Just Live Here


                                                                                   BOOK INFORMATION:                                                                  


What if you aren’t the Chosen One? The one who’s supposed to fight the zombies, or the soul-eating ghosts, or whatever the heck this new thing is, with the blue lights and the death?

What if you’re like Mikey? Who just wants to graduate and go to prom and maybe finally work up the courage to ask Henna out before someone goes and blows up the high school. Again.

Because sometimes there are problems bigger than this week’s end of the world, and sometimes you just have to find the extraordinary in your ordinary life.

Even if your best friend is worshipped by mountain lions.

Award-winning writer Patrick Ness’s bold and irreverent novel powerfully reminds us that there are many different types of remarkable.




                                                                        MY THOUGHTS ON THE BOOK                                                              

“Feelings don't try to kill you, even the painful ones. Anxiety is a feeling grown too large. A feeling grown aggressive and dangerous. You're responsible for its consequences, you're responsible for treating it. But...you're not responsible for causing it. You're not morally at fault for it. No more than you would be for a tumor.” 

The Rest of Us Just Live Here is a funny and interesting little book. I enjoyed it and read it in one setting the day that I got it.

“Because sometimes there are problems bigger than this week’s end of the world and sometimes you just have to find the extraordinary in your ordinary life.” 

I really enjoyed how these characters developed throughout the story. The best part of the story was how the characters really grew throughout their stories. They were diverse and dynamic. They transform in ways that are unexpected and very abnormal for YA novels. The main character goes from being needy and very anxious to independent. 

Let's talk about the characters. My favorite was Mikey who was the main character and the narrator. He is such a great character, like utterly incredible. He has severe and debilitating obsessive-compulsive disorder. He has a major crush on his sisters best friend. He is overall adorable, and he is just a great guy. He loves his friends and is downright hilarious. 

The next character that I loved was Mel, he has anorexia and anxiety. The representation of this made her so relatable to me. The almost dying, the damaged teeth, the compulsive rules for eating. The worry about being fat. I felt like for her and understood everything she went through. The relationship between her and her brother, I love sibling relationships. I enjoyed reading about her journey even the hard triggering parts. 

The final sibling is Meredith she is the ten-year-old. She was incredibly adorable. She is witty and super smart. I loved how she was included in things with her siblings. They didn't make her the third wheel, and they rarely complained about her. They loved her and took care of her. 

Jared was an excellent friend for Mikey. He was gay and exciting. He was a great friend and helped Mike with his anxiety. They loved each other as a family but had messed around once. There were times when he was an annoying and kinda of a rude friend to mike at points. Also, he is a God, so that was pretty interesting. 

Henna was the last of the friend group. Henna is a black girl who is Scandinavian. Her parents are missionaries and very religious. I didn't like Henna as much. I felt like she was rude and lead Mike on. She friend zoned him and was like dangling the idea of her wanting him in ways that thought was cruel and unneeded. 

"Not everyone has to be the Chosen One. Not everyone has to be the guy who saves the world. Most people just have to live their lives the best they can, doing things that are great for them, having great friends, trying to make their lives better, loving people properly. All the while knowing that the world makes no sense but trying to find a way to be happy anyway."

I absolutely loved the beginning chapter snippets from the indie kids. They were funny and hilarious. They were stereotypical of how a chosen one book would go. I loved the parody of the book. At first, it was kinda confusing but as the story progressed it was enduring. 

Overall I just can't say enough good things about this book. I truly loved reading this book and I am so glad I purchased it from Amazon. Happy reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment