Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Book Review: Garvey's Choice



                                                                                   BOOK INFORMATION:                                                                  


Garvey’s father has always wanted Garvey to be athletic, but Garvey is interested in astronomy, science fiction, reading—anything but sports. Feeling like a failure, he comforts himself with food. 

Garvey is kind, funny, smart, a loyal friend, and he is also overweight, teased by bullies, and lonely. When his only friend encourages him to join the school chorus, Garvey’s life changes. 

The chorus finds a new soloist in Garvey, and through chorus, Garvey finds a way to accept himself, and a way to finally reach his distant father—by speaking the language of music instead of the language of sports










                                                                        MY THOUGHTS ON THE BOOK                                                              

“I’m just beginning
to learn what I am made of,
to pay attention
to the kid in my own eyes,
starting to like what I see.

I feel unwritten
like that song says, in chorus,
my story untold.
I can’t wait to sing the song,
croon my own untold story.”

This little book broke my heart and then sewed it back up again. This adorable lyrical book is a quick read. It is a book packed with emotions and heart. This is a story about finding how to love yourself, healing, and learning to make friends. 

This book features a boy that is overweight who seeks to discover who he is. He struggles with body issues and his father’s disapproval. Garvey is named for black nationalist Marcus Garvey.  He’s into reading, chess, and food. He dislikes sports and competition things, which is something that causes a rift between him and his dad. 

Garvey eventually finds the heart and confidence to try out for his school's choir. He does this with help from his friends Joe and Manny. He experiences success with singing helps me develop an easier mindset around his weight problem. 

This is a feel-good story. I loved seeing weight issues resolved in a healthy way. I loved how the author handled its self-confidence. I enjoyed seeing the relationship with his father improve throughout the story. 

Overall this is a book packed with serious issues. It is a cute, quick, fun read. I am thankful my library had this book in circulation. Was such a pleasant read. 






No comments:

Post a Comment