Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Book Review: Ready or Not * Mini Review*





                                                                                   BOOK INFORMATION:                                                                  

Discerning a calling is a messy undertaking. You are already involved in many good things now, even as you are being called to many good things in your future. The good life―good work, good relationships, good citizenship, good faith―is to be enjoyed now and pursued on every horizon. We are living out the Kingdom of God even as we seek it.

Ready or Not is a much-needed resource for young people on exploring the complexity of vocation in empowering, not prescriptive, ways. After exploring four foundational questions for emerging adulthood―Who is God? Who am I? How have I been shaped? What are my contexts?―you will work through interactive chapters covering the contours of adulthood, including: spirituality, family, community, and work.

Explore the full depths of your twenties with bravery and vulnerability! With insight into life skills, personal growth, and spirituality, Ready or Not will set you on a faithful trajectory for a good and meaningful life.




                                                                        MY THOUGHTS ON THE BOOK                                                              

As a twenty something I found this book to be so encouraging and helpful. 

In nine small chapters the author uses relevant topics to show a practical point of view. He combines research, qoutes, and anecdotes to get his points across. I really enjoyed his writting style. At the end of every chapter there are discussion questions, exercises, and a how to appy section. This makes the book more practical in helping with my every day life. 

I really enjoyed the emphasis on connecting with others, and learning from them. I think some of his suggestions are spot on. He suggests making friends with older people who exemplify a life of faith. He even gives you interview questions that you can build on and change to make more relivent. 

The chapter titles are as follows: Vocation, God and Us, Past and Present, Dimensions and Rhythms, Spirituality, Work, Family, Church, and Community.

As I read more and more the more I thought about taking this book to my young adult life group. This would be perfect as a book study or even a small group study. I also believe people who love twenty somethings would benifit from this resource as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment