Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Book Review: Audacity





                                                                                   BOOK INFORMATION:                                                                  


Title: Audacity
Author: 
Source: Library
Pub Date: January 8th 2015
Publisher: Philomel Books
Page Cout: 400 pages

The inspiring story of Clara Lemlich, whose fight for equal rights led to the largest strike by women in American history

A gorgeously told novel in verse written with intimacy and power, Audacity is inspired by the real-life story of Clara Lemlich, a spirited young woman who emigrated from Russia to New York at the turn of the twentieth century and fought tenaciously for equal rights. Bucking the norms of both her traditional Jewish family and societal conventions, Clara refuses to accept substandard working conditions in the factories on Manhattan's Lower East Side. 


For years, Clara devotes herself to the labor fight, speaking up for those who suffer in silence. In time, Clara convinces the women in the factories to strike, organize, and unionize, culminating in the famous Uprising of the 20,000.

Powerful, breathtaking, and inspiring, Audacity is the story of a remarkable young woman, whose passion and selfless devotion to her cause changed the world.



                                                                        MY THOUGHTS ON THE BOOK                                                              


”Have we not been told all our lives that a good girl is obedient biddable meek? I have never been obedient or biddable or meek.” 

Right now I am on a kick of reading books in verse. Audacity was by far one of my absolute favorites that I have read thus far. It was a riveting story of courage, persistence, and fighting for what matters. It was also about being selfless and thinking about others. This is a book in verse that honestly was heartbreaking to read at times. It was extremely compelling to flip the page and find out what beautiful words were going to be told next. I was surprised that a story this powerful could be written in verse. I believe the verse gives this story which is quite depressing some lightness. 

 Due to the verse format this book is an extremely fast read but I decided to savor the story. Reading it in chunks and forming conclusions about it. I found that this is a story packed with emotion, feelings and extreme meaning. 

This is a story that will stick with me for some time. This book enlightened me to a variety of things. It taught me about the horrific working conditions of immigrants at the beginning of the 19th century. It opened my eyes up to a world of such injustice and pain. 

 This book is based on the early life of feminist activist Clara Lemlich. My favorite character was Clara. She made me cry my eyes out. I have never cried through a book in verse but this one really got to me. I felt so sad for her through the story. I was frustrated by the ignorance and cruelty of people she faced. I was completely enraged at her father and brothers, that they excused their actions in the name of tradition and religion. The men in this story just were aggravating. I admired Clara's unbreakable will and strength. She was a truly incredible person. Also she truly deserves to be remembered. 

 Overall, Melanie Crowder wrote an incredible story full of culture and history. It was a beautiful verse novel. The things written in these pages with stick with me for life. I found this novel to be an incredible source of inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment