If Jane Austen and Sholem Aleichem (Fiddler on the Roof) schemed in an elevator, this just might be their pitch. Ari is Elizabeth and Itche is Jane--and this Jewish, queer, New York City retelling of Pride and Prejudice is for everyone.
Ari Wexler, a trans guy in his late 20s, is barely scraping by. His family life is a mess, he feels like a failure when it comes to love, and his job at a music library is on the rocks. His relationship with Itche Mattes, his doting best friend, helps him get through the days. Then a famous actress comes to town and sweeps Itche off his feet, leaving her dreadful sidekick to step on Ari's toes.
As Ari's despair grows, a fascinating music project falls into his lap, and he s faced with a choice: to remain within his comfort zone, however small and stifling, or to take a risk that could bring meaning and joy to his life.
A romantic comedy full of angsty wrestling matches between idealism and cynicism, work and art, and friendship and romance. It will keep you guessing until the very end.
MY THOUGHTS ON THE BOOK
I loved this book but it took me a couple days to process this very queer and very Jewish take on Pride and Prejudice. I also had a hard time getting into it. It was beautifully written and wonderfully done. This book took my breath away from the first page, then almost every other page was completely and utterly wonderful. I was left in awe and questioning everything I knew. This book had me so engrossed in the storyline. The brilliant writing style was fantastic. It was written from a unique perspective.
We're always reaching out for something, trying to catch it in our hands, love or happiness, those bright little fireflies in the starless night of our minds.
In this story, we meet Ari Wexler who is struggling with insecurities and various obstacles during his life. He is stuck in a dead-end job he doesn't enjoy. He has numerous family issues. He also feels that it will be impossible from him to find love, which is worse by family pressure. After many failed relationships he decides to give up on love. But his loneliness becomes overwhelming to the point that his family and friends are concerned.
There's nothing wrong with wrestling with a question of friendship and love and the distance between them. It's not a bad question. (...) it's delicate like the filament of a light bulb. It can be seen at infinite angles, and at each angle lies a distinct world that blossoms into understanding and out of it again.
The diversity is great in this book. The protagonist is a trans male which is pretty cool. I have heard the representation is very well done from the LGBTQ+ community. There is also a character who is bipolar. I really enjoyed the diversity of this book so much. It was exactly what I have been craving.
I love seeing Jane Austen get a modern twist. The book being changed in such a creative manner that gave me a sense of freshness but still felt like the same true pride and Prejudice story. I really enjoyed that fact.
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review


No comments:
Post a Comment