Rust & Stardust is a novel that is based on the real-life kidnapping of Sally Horner who was 11 years old at the time. As well as her kidnapper. This is the story that inspired Vladimir Nabokov to write his controversial and iconic book, Lolita. This happened in 1948.
During a game of dare, Sally attempted to steal a notebook from a Woolworths. When she was stopped by a man who said he was an FBI agent. He claimed that she was under arrest. She didn’t know that this wasn’t true and that she wasn’t really under arrest. He actually was an ex-con by the name of Frank LaSalle who had just gotten out of prison. He tells Sally if she does not cooperate, she will go to jail. Scared, she does exactly as he asked.
The next part of the book is the two years in which he mentally, sexually, and physically abuses Sally. They travel from place to place. Moving on when people get suspicious of him. The book allows us to see her doubt, fear and loathing. I think her anger and her resentment. We also see her hope and her strength.
At this point, Amber alerts didn’t exist and people were more trusting. The harsh reality of life was rarely discussed and many children weren’t warned about abusers. This is a sad and heartbreaking book. This is not a happy book. This is a story of pain, loss, fear, and abuse.
The writing in Rust & Stardust is captivating and wonderful. I thought the author did these sensitive subjects justice in a thoughtful way. I thought the authors note at the end was very poignant and extremely educational. I loved the books that causes me to really think about things. It was extremely moving and gripping.
Overall I gave this book four stars because I enjoyed the novel. If I can say enjoyed this hard novel. The topics were well done. I hope you check it out.
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from St. Martin's Press and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
No comments:
Post a Comment