Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Book Review: Christmas with a Bite ( Adult Novel)

This book is different from my normal reviews and contains sex and cussing if these things bother you feel free to skip this review and read other things on my blog here. 



Book info



A paranormal category romance from Entangled's Covet imprint…
Sometimes the holidays totally bite...
This Christmas, Mara Livingston is determined to start over. But as she's driving to her "new" home, a freak winter storm forces her off the road. Now she's stranded in the middle of nowhere. Then he shows up. And there's something strangely familiar about him...
Connor Reese never expected to see Mara again. Nor is he prepared for the onslaught of emotions―including an unimaginable rush of desire―she stirs within him. Now he has a chance to claim the woman he's always wanted. Except, there are a couple of small details that Mara doesn't know. The first is that Connor is a vampire. And the second is that if his family finds out about Mara, she will most certainly be killed...


My Thoughts About This Book:

This book was so horrible. I couldn’t even handle it at times. Get ready for a long rant. 

My issues with this book start with the first chapter. This story is crazy predictable, which really disappointed me because I was ready to love this book after the synopsis. The main character Mara gets into a car accident in the middle of a bad snowstorm. She is in the middle of nowhere because she thought her GPS would take her a quicker way.I am trying to understand why you would think backroads would be better than the main roads in the middle of a snowstorm. This part just really bugged me.) 

After she crashes she gets chased by a pack of wolves. They chase her deep into the wolves, and just when all hope is lost and she gives up, a guy named Connor rescues her. Which isn’t predictable is it? Of course, it is predictable. I expected these wolves had a purpose in this story, unfortunately, that was wrong. They have no point, they are simply hungry wolves, in Texas, in the middle of a snowstorm, cause that makes sense. 

This vampire guy named Connor has some sort of sexual obsession with her from the get-go, he just wants to have sex with her right away. He has this odd internal monologue conflict about how he can’t have sex with another mortal. 


I had a major issue with the way he reacted on a couple of pages in, having just met mara why is he so upset that she was married before. I mean really to call him a “real fucking douchebag” seemed like a bit much. I thought was a crazy thing to say about someone you don’t know. Also how on earth did he know that Mara was such a treasure in the few hours he had known her. 


““My divorce was finalized today, as a matter of fact,” she 
said with a heavy sigh. “I’m a free woman.”
He steeled himself. That wasn’t what he expected to 
hear. She had been married? He wanted to tear the head right off the bastard’s shoulders. The bloody image made his stomach growl. 
“I’m sorry,” he muttered, but he was far from it. He was grateful the dumbass hadn’t figured out what a treasure Mara was, even if he couldn’t keep her for himself. 
“I’m not,” she admitted, a forced smile gracing her face. “I can’t believe I stayed with him as long as I did. He was a real fucking douchebag.”
Later in the story, we do find out that their paths had crossed before but for some reason, fate was keeping them apart. This sets up to your typical story about the one that got away. Normally I enjoy stories that make the reader think about what would have happened if you made a different choice in your life? Does fate actually exist? Would you be the same person if things had happened differently? These are normally really interesting reads for me. Unfortunately the way this story read just really rubbed me the wrong way. It came off as convoluted and extremely forced. 
Another issue I have is on page 26, Conor is deciding sleeping arrangements and wants her to sleep in his bed. Of course having just met this guy she doesn’t want to sleep in the bed. When she says no,  his reaction is far from okay, He glares at her and dares her to argue with him. I guess I just really had an issue with how much he seemed to force her. That's a big no for me. 
This is some hot steamy sex in this novel. I don’t mind books that have some aspects of sex but this was slightly ridiculous. I really couldn’t contain my laughter reading this part, “He pressed her body into the mattress, his touch igniting desires that burned within her. Wicked arousal claimed her, setting her world on a tailspin. Heat pulsed at her neck as his lips stayed latched onto her flesh.” No one really thinks this way, do they? It just seemed absolutely ridiculous to me. I didn’t enjoy any of these parts. 

I did like the twist of Christmas this book had. I had never read a paranormal fiction book set around any particular holiday season so that was interesting. It is a light quick read. I am sure there are some that would enjoy this particular tale, but it just wasn’t for me. 

Disclaimer: I received this book as an ARC from Entangled Publishing and NetGalley for review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment