Saturday, October 14, 2017

Book Review: Lizzy and Jane



Book info



Lizzy and Jane never saw eye to eye. But when illness brings them together, they discover they may be more like Austen’s famous sisters after all.

Lizzy was only a teenager when her mother died of cancer. Shortly after, Lizzy fled from her home, her family, and her cherished nickname. After working tirelessly to hone her gift of creating magic in the kitchen, Elizabeth has climbed the culinary ladder to become the head chef of her own New York restaurant, Feast. But as her magic begins to elude her, Paul, Feast’s financial backer, brings in someone to share her responsibilities and her kitchen. So Elizabeth flees again.

In a des
perate attempt to reconnect with her gift, Elizabeth returns home. But her plans are derailed when she learns that her estranged sister, Jane, is battling cancer. Elizabeth surprises everyone—including herself—when she decides to stay in Seattle and work to prepare healthy, sustaining meals for Jane as she undergoes chemotherapy. She also meets Nick and his winsome son, Matt, who, like Elizabeth, are trying to heal from the wounds of the past.

As she tends to Jane's needs, Elizabeth's powers begin to return to her, along with the family she left behind so long ago. Then Paul tries to entice her back to New York, and she is faced with a hard decision: stay and become Lizzy to her sister’s Jane, or return to New York and the life she worked so hard to create?


My Thoughts About This Book:

Something I don't talk about much on here is how I grew up in a Baptist believing household. I went to church nearly every Sunday, did youth group, mission trips, the whole deal. It wasn't till I was an adult that I felt extremely close to God. With that said I rarely go into Christian bookstores and browse. I often feel like those books are like chocolate, they are feelgood and sweet but have no real substance to them. They don't feed my soul like I need. Still every now in then I slip into those familiar stores and see what they have to offer me. Lately, that has lead me into the fiction section. I saw this book and I found this little gem of a book. 

This book is in the inspirational section of fiction. I think the fact that the author has a love affair with Jane Auston that makes me enjoy her stories so much. This is the follow-up the debut author Katherine Reay’s lovely Dear Mr. Knightley. I was somewhat disappointed that it wasn't really a connected follow-up aside from it being Jane Austin inspired. Will this made me sad but I did still enjoy this storyline and others will also I believe. 

This tells the story of Lizzy and Jane. They are sisters who constantly at odds with each other, like many sisters before them. Sadly their mother died from cancer many years ago. The rift has occurred because Lizzy was there for their mother, while Jane was not. Now that they are grown up, living separate lives they are trying to maintain a connection. Jane sadly has been diagnosed with cancer. It has sent their lives into terror and brought up all the past pain of their mother's death. 

Burned out from work Lizy decides to visit Jane and their father. Tired of fighting with Jane, scared of the upcoming future, and truly still healing from her mother's death. She embarks on an incredible journey and is about to rediscover her passions. 

This book is kind of slow though. I mean it is emotional but it takes entirely way too long for any action to happen. I found it to be hard at times to stay invested in the characters and the storyline. I liked the cooking aspects, the details included. The authentic and honest struggles, the real-life feeling given to this book. It just seemed to be missing something. 

I enjoy this kind of story. One that makes you want to visit your family. One that makes you feel nostalgic and warm inside. I like that this isn't an easy read though, and makes you remember that every family has its issues. This is what woman's fiction should be. 




About The Author:



Katherine Reay has lived all across the country and Europe and has just moved with her family to Chicago.

 She is a writer, wife, mom, runner, and, most randomly, a tae kwon do black belt. 

Her award-winning debut novel, "Dear Mr. Knightley," is a contemporary story with a dash of Jane Austen and other nineteenth century writers thrown in for the fun of it. Her subsequent novels, "Lizzy & Jane" and "The Bronte Plot" and "A Portrait of Emily Price" feature stories of hope, reconciliation, family, some seriously good food and travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment