Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Book Review: Whatever Happened To Janie? *** Lots of spoilers****



Book info

As Janie Johnson glanced at the face of the ordinary little girl on the milk carton, she was overcome with shock. She recognized that little girl?it was she. 

How can it possibly be true? But it is. With the mystery of her kidnapping now unraveled, Janie's story continues, and the nightmare is not over. No one can bring back or relive the 12 years gone by. The Spring family wants justice, but who is really to blame? 

The Johnsons know that they must abide by the court decisions made, but it's difficult to figure out what's best for everyone. Janie Johnson or Jenny Spring? Who is she? Certainly there's enough love for everyone, but how can the two separate families live happily ever after?


My Thoughts About This Book:

THIS REVIEW HAS SPOILERS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. 
THIS REVIEW HAS SPOILERS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. 
THIS REVIEW HAS SPOILERS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. 
THIS REVIEW HAS SPOILERS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. 
THIS REVIEW HAS SPOILERS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. 

You know that book that you have read over and over again from your childhood or teens, and each time it just is so good? That is this entire series for me. There is just something about Caroline B. Cooney's dramatic flare that just entertains me so much still. I will say in the latest re-read I didn't realize just how overly dramatic the writing is. At least it shows me that my tastes have improved a little. 

I first read this book when I was a preteen wandering the rows of books at the library. I came across a librarian that I knew who asked me what I was looking for? I have no idea what I exactly said but it was something to the affect of "surprise me" and she ran off and brought this series to me. It quickly became my favorite series. 

I never thought I would say this but this book is so much better than the first book, The Face on the Milk Carton, which is a book that hooked me from the start. At this point, Janie has found out that her parents that she has lived with since she can remember aren't her real parents. Her life and her world has shifted, twisted, and been thrown upside down. There is so much complexity to her feelings, she loves her "so-called" mother and doesn't want to leave. 

She has a challenge ahead of her. She has to deal with conflicting emotions and feelings. She has to deal with the anger from her siblings. She has to deal with the feeling of betrayal, which is something she feels that she is doing to her "fake" family. She has to learn how to live and find her place among the Springs. Her real family, her real blood. 

In the end, she makes a decision that so few expected. Which was to return to the family that kidnapped her. As she didn't feel as if she belonged or fit into the family. This creates chaos and hurt in the Springs, and ultimately both families are rocked to their core. The siblings now want revenge. Will they all just suffer more sorrow and pain?

This book is so captivating. It will draw you in and take you on an emotional journey. It is far from perfect, but has a great plot line and takes on issues that few young adult books did at the time it was released. I believe many readers will enjoy this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment