Based on the feature film, THE FATHER EFFECT is a must read for the millions of men and women who have lost their fathers through divorce, death, or disinterest.
John Finch always struggled after his father's suicide when he was eleven, but it wasn't until he was raising his own three daughters when he truly understood their futures relied on him coming to terms with his past. To move forward, he needed to forgive both his father for choosing to leave, and himself for not being the best father he could be.
This journey led to THE FATHER EFFECT, a book containing practical help for any person, man or woman, with a deep father-wound from losing a dad through divorce, death, or disinterest. It will lead you through positive lessons on forgiveness and how to change your legacy as a parent, partner, and person.
Check out the Website here : http://thefathereffect.com
My Thoughts About This Book:
|
This was a book I really needed to read. As a woman who never really had a father, so I never got to experience that. I have had to grieve that loss of relationship from a very young age. This book was powerful medicine for my injured heart. This book is so beautiful, so moving, and ultimately life-changing. The transparency that John Finch shows is incredible. He puts his heart out there in hopes of helping others heal. These wounds can affect everyone, in every aspect of their life.
This book while Christian is more about psychology, as a psych student I had a lot of interest going into this book. I felt that it was really interesting how vulnerable writers of this book are. The author shares his personal and painful experience of losing his dad to suicide. An issue that is getting worse and worse. He reveals what life was like experiencing such an intense loss at such a fragile age. The writers really put their heart and soul into this book, and it shows. I found it interesting that they use the suffering to help uncover your deep feelings that you may suppress about the loss of your father in your life, they take it one more step further, they talk about how to move past that hurt by actually practicing forgiveness. Of course, forgiveness doesn't just happen, and it is a journey that you must go on. The author doesn't present forgiveness as a cure-all, he presents it in a way that is balanced.
With the model of Christianity, John Fich points out that we can use Heavenly Father as a replacement or a way to fill in that hole in our hearts. The book is reassuring the reader of the love of Jesus Christ, and his powerful way of healing all broken hearts. He shares ways to use this knowledge to break rumination, feelings of alienation, feelings of abandonment, and feelings of rejection.
This book takes on the issue of depression. He does this in a pretty great way, in my opinion, he doesn't ask readers to "will" themselves out of that ever black hole. He validates peoples true feelings, and reassures the reader there is a light at the end of the tunnel, the pain you are experiencing will get better. He describes depression in one of the most powerful ways I have ever seen.
"Trying to free yourself from depression is like building a ladder out of toothpicks when you're stuck at the bottom of a hundred-mile-deep hole. No matter what you do, the hopelessness of your situation only worsens."
At times when reading, The Father Effect, I felt as if the book was written just for me. This book will allow readers to have a greater understanding, and perhaps empathy for people who are missing a father in their lives. I believe this is a must read for those dealing with this issue, and others who support or council people. I believe there are so many things to take away from this book, anyone can get something out of this wonderful book.
Disclaimer: I received this book from FaithWorks, in exchange for my honest and completely unbiased review. All thoughts are my own and are not affected by that.


No comments:
Post a Comment