Book info
|
‘I really did have an empire, you know,’ said Dunbar. ‘Have I ever told you the story of how it was stolen from me?’
Henry Dunbar, the once all-powerful head of a global corporation, is not having a good day. In his dotage he handed over care of the family firm to his two eldest daughters, Abby and Megan. But relations quickly soured, leaving him doubting the wisdom of past decisions...
Now imprisoned in a care home in the Lake District with only a demented alcoholic comedian as company, Dunbar starts planning his escape. As he flees into the hills, his family is hot on his heels. But who will find him first, his beloved youngest daughter, Florence, or the tigresses Abby and Megan, so keen to divest him of his estate?
Edward St Aubyn is renowned for his masterwork, the five Melrose novels, which dissect with savage and beautiful precision the agonies of family life. His take on King Lear, Shakespeare’s most devastating family story, is an excoriating novel for and of our times – an examination of power, money and the value of forgiveness.
My Thoughts About This Book:
|
My initial thoughts after finishing this novel:
I really loved this book. The writing is beautiful and descriptive.
My full review of this novel:
Another Shakespeare retelling, I am convinced this is my favorite book trend. I feel lucky to be alive at this day and age. Forwarning I loved this book, and I am slightly obsessed with it. This book is a retelling of King Lear, which is one of my ultimate favorite Shakespeare plays. I have read it for school, both in high school and college, as well as by choice. I can never get enough of this dark and gruesome story. This storyline is a traumatic and full of immense tragedy.
Dunbar had quite a lot to live up to, and it absolutely delivered. This is a contemporary version of this great little tale. The story is complete with an examination into money, status, power, and its affect on the human spirt. It also investigates the value of compassion and forgiveness. While it isn't completely matched to King Lear, it is a solid five-star novel.
This novel follows a Canadian media Mogul and crazy businessman Henry Dunbar. He is the modern version of King Lear, while not royalty he shares many character traits just the same. He has been confined to the care home in the Lake District by his wretched daughters Megan and Abby. They have developed a plot to take over his business, and are desperate to get him out of the way. Similar to the play it was inspired by his younger daughter Florance is the only one who really truly loves him. She is such a genuine cares for him. The story has so many twists and turns that are wrapped up in a knock out ending that will leave you guessing.
Overall this book really exceeded my expectations and is a wonderful addition to Hogarth Shakespeare modern edition series.
Disclaimer: I received this book from Blogging For Books in exchange for my honest and completely unbiased review. All thoughts are my own.


No comments:
Post a Comment