Book info
|

In his twisty, gritty, profoundly moving debut—called “mandatory reading” by the New York Times—Adam Silvera brings to life a charged, dangerous near-future summer in the Bronx.
In the months after his father's suicide, it's been tough for 16-year-old Aaron Soto to find happiness again--but he's still gunning for it. With the support of his girlfriend Genevieve and his overworked mom, he's slowly remembering what that might feel like. But grief and the smile-shaped scar on his wrist prevent him from forgetting completely.
When Genevieve leaves for a couple of weeks, Aaron spends all his time hanging out with this new guy, Thomas. Aaron's crew notices, and they're not exactly thrilled. But Aaron can't deny the happiness Thomas brings or how Thomas makes him feel safe from himself, despite the tensions their friendship is stirring with his girlfriend and friends. Since Aaron can't stay away from Thomas or turn off his newfound feelings for him, he considers turning to the Leteo Institute's revolutionary memory-alteration procedure to straighten himself out, even if it means forgetting who he truly is.
Why does happiness have to be so hard?
My Thoughts About This Book:
|
Trigger warning: Grief, Suicide, Depression
I picked up this book on a total whim. I have heard a lot of people talk about this book in videos and around the interwebs. It is a touchy subject for my life and family so I never thought I would actually pick this one up. It took a long time to process through. I will say that this book really did invoke so many emotions for me. At times it was similar to a punch in the gut.
I will say I can see where people may not get the "feels" with this book. It is really a book that is a hit or miss connection in my opinion. Of course, the plot is sort of obvious but I feel like the plot isn't as important in a book like this as the message behind it is.
The book is set in the future. In a world where bad memories can simply be wiped away as if they never existed in the first place. This is an intriguing premise because I believe we all have things that we wish we could forget. Past thoughts and memories that haunt us to our core.
“This is still an ugly world.”
Sadly, he can't turn to his family or even his friends. While his girlfriend is supportive he doesn't feel comfortable letting her that close. When Thomas, the new kid comes around he finds the person he needs. He finally finds someone he really can trust.
Like many places, he quickly realizes that the place he lives isn't exactly welcoming to gay romances. Faced with his option he decides to deal with it by going to the Leteo institute and having his memories taken away.
The love story is so beautiful in this book. This isn't your average teen love story. It isn't a cutesy story, although it is quite adorable and cheesy at times. It is a relationship that develops from friendship, and actually, mimic real life in that way. There is such an innocence to it that I loved.
“He rubs his face and his eyes squint; a tear escapes. “You didn’t have to take my side, Stretch.” I kind of, sort of, definitely always will.
The diversity in the book is so wonderful. I couldn't believe how many major and minor characters were super diverse. We need so much more of that in today's literature.
The only bad part of this book was the fact that the "procedure" that wipes your memory is never explained in detail. You are given some explanation. Like if anyone mentions the past trauma or even mentions anything similar happening to someone else, the entire procedure can unravel. Which made me have quite a few questions.
More Happy Than Not, was such a moving book in my opinion.
About The Author:
|
Adam Silvera was born and raised in the Bronx. He has worked in the publishing industry as a children's bookseller, marketing assistant at a literary development company, and book reviewer of children's and young adult novels.
His debut novel, More Happy Than Not, received multiple starred reviews and is a New York Times bestseller, and Adam was selected as a Publishers Weekly Flying Start.
He writes full-time in New York City and is tall for no reason.
Represented by Brooks Sherman of the Bent Agency.


No comments:
Post a Comment